1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

outdoor temp sensor location

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ticki2, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Has anyone found a good location for the outdoor temp sensor so it will be accurate when the plow is on ? I'm usally reading about 50F when it's really 15F out .
  2. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Good question. Have the same problem with my 04 2500 hd.
  3. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

There is enough wire to take it from where it is mounted right by the oil cooler and move it to the side by the headlight works much better still a little off but damn close.
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

There simply is no ideal place.If you move it anywhere else,then it won't be as accurate without the plow on.I've tried everything on 2 different Dmax's.What sucks for me is that with the his/her 2 different climate control option,once I'm moving fast travelling,I have to adjust the settings to 85-90* to get heat because that sensor ''talks'' to the ''brain'' that controls temperature.Then,when I'm plowing,air current changes and I have to adjust it down.
  5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Is That why my heater has gone crazy since I put the plow on!
    I know the outdoor temp sensor is goofy with the plow on but I didn't know about the connection between it and the heater. I just thought my heater control had gone bad. My truck is an '01, and doesn't have the dual climate controls.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Well,if you crank up your temperature and better heat comes out, you will have your answer.
  7. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Today I put the sensor out in front of the truck headlight , they're not on when the plow is on , and it seemed to work pretty good . It was still reading a bit high when the truck was left to idle , but OK when moving . Tomorrow I'm going to try and wire tie it to plow harness plug to get it out front more . This will also put it back in the grill when the plow comes off . My plow is usually on all winter but incase I forget it won't be attached to the plow .