1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Out with the new......

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2COR517, Jul 6, 2009.

Which grill do you like better?

1. GMC grill

2. Chevy grill

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

......in with the old.

I've been wanting to do this since I bought my truck. If I had known how easy it would be, I would have done it 2 1/2 years ago. I my opinion, the composite headlights on the 91-98 trucks are terrible. And the grill style painted to match the truck is not that attractive either. Before this truck, I had an 89 with the small four sealed beam setup. They were fantastic. Anyhow, I finally went to the junkyard and got the lamps, buckets, brackets, and pigtails for $30 total. Grabbed a grill with the lower filler strip from an 89 for $45 bucks. Probably not quite worth the money, the "chrome" on the upper section is pretty well gone. I pulled the side markers, masked off the chrome, and sprayed it with Krylon for Outdoor Furniture. I don't remember the exact color name, but it's a charcoal gray. It looks very cool, made a rough finish with little sparklies in it. It's very flat, no gloss. But still shiny, if that makes any sense. The swap took less than an hour. I spent much more time messing around with the plow lighting harness than anything else. I don't generally get too wound up about appearance, but I think the headlights themselves look much better. More like a truck to me. I actually ran the "new" lights with the "old" grill for a couple of days, but put the Chevy grill on today. I'm not sure which one I like better. I kinda like seeing the chrome on the sides. As for lighting, I can see about as much with low beams now as I could with high beams before.

Here's the before:
    GMC before.jpg

Here's the after:
    GMC grill after.jpg

Close up:
    GMC grill after closeup.jpg

GMC grill after.jpg

GMC before.jpg

GMC grill after closeup.jpg
  2. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

No question to my mind. The GMC grill looks better. Cleaner looking. Ditto with the composite headlights, they are more attractive, but with your lights, form has to follow function.

The sealed beams likely work so much better because they're new glass and thus crystal clear and the old composites are 12 year old plastic thats been weatherd and scratched up to the point where the light coming out of the bulb is diffracted all over the place.
  3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The Chevy grill not only looks better, it also functions better. I think it looks like there's more airflow opening available too. For a plow truck the functionality is worth much more than aesthetics...