1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

out bid??? Kinda funny

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Just got the word today I was out bid on a job. It was a gas station with 3 off street entries and a back parking lot. I was informed that I was to high at $65 and they hired a guy that will plow both lots "and" salt for $40:dizzy: the size of this station I couldnt even salt it for $40.
  2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just laugh and wave when you see him doing it in the winter
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

We just can't make most of this stuff up! It's sad but funny at the same time
  4. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

It's not worth it..How in the hell can they do that for that price??? Well at least you can sleep in a little longer during a snow event..:sleeping:
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Be ready with a last-minute bid increase for them!! I bet it won't take long for poor service to show, and the place will be looking to you again (often the case). Why shouldn't you benefit from that?
  6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Its really funny, I just had the same thing happen to me this morning. Called to check up on a bid and was told I was extremely high. When typing up this bid I had to bite my lip as I thought it was on the low side! (I was about 40% higher)

People work for free, and I just don't say that because I got my feelings hurt. Some guys are willing to work for free to feel as if they have made it to the commercial big leagues. Not all to sure but for me its who pays the most. I give a top service and am on call 24/7 for 4 months and expect to be paid well. If someones not going to pay me a Mans Salary ill get a "job" working for someone else with a heck of a lot less headaches and make more.
  7. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Commercial lots have to be serviced all the time not just once. You have to go back re salt, plow where cars were parked, and trust me when they get a complaint from one of there customers it gets handed to you, especially a gas station. You will get a call after the first big snow fall when the cheap azz can't keep up with it...:drinkup:
  8. Knight Owl

Knight Owl Junior Member

Some will.
    Some won't.....
    So what.....
    NEXT !!!!!
  9. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Trust me, it only gets worse as you get bigger. i run into the same problems plowing large commercial clients
  10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

lol that just what I did.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

outbid??? 175k sq. ft. strip mall we serviced for 3 years, without a single complaint.

we know the:
    1. Time it takes to plow 1-3, 3-6, 6+
    2. Time it takes to do walks 1-3, 3-6, 6+
    3. Amount of salt for lot and sidewalks.
    4. Our overhead

we bid it as we would bid any other job, gave them a seasonal, and per push option. i just got off the phone with the property manager and she said they were awarding it to someone else because we were "significantly high" "your salt price is 1.75x what it was last year" ugh.

thank god theres hundreds of other parking lots around, otherwise i might truly care!
  12. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Cast your rod...theres bigger fish out there!
  13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The "lowballers" won't be in business long w/o making any money.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

it sucks but i guess theres always someone out there thatll knock you down a rung, the ladder to success for me must be made of wood and its rotting as i feel like im going down instead of up? lol
  15. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

made of wood, rotting, has termites, and mexicans hanging off the side.
  16. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Gas station a block from my house, I'm there almost everyday has the WORST snow removal I have ever seen. They are not salted at all, the guy that plows sometimes comes 24 hours after the snow fall, and by January the whole lot is just a skating rink. After a 12" plus snowfall last year I pulled in to fuel up and the guy asked me to plow it. Not wanting to step on toes I said no, you have someone. He said he hasnt been able to get ahold of him and it needs to be plowed now. I said ok, $75.00. He said I was crazy, that he only paid $25 to the other guy. I said "And you got what you paid for" and walked out.

So the other day I asked Abdul if he wanted me to do his lot this winter, he said yeah, but no salt and $40.00 per push, only push once it has stopped snowing. I said "Have fun in court when someone sues you for falling on your skating rink."

I dont know how or why these guys do this!!!!!

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

theyre cheap, ive worked in a building for 20 somethin years and theres a spot that the floors were bad and the owner knew about it. his fix was to shut the door? until the building was struck by lightning. fire fighters went in to see and ended up in the first floor, guess what became a priority? its only important if itll cost you more money if you dont fix it?
  18. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Its a game for many of the larger company's to low ball as well. I had several bids this fall that were double what the top ten "Industry Giants" from Snow Magazine's top 50 contractors list bid. Yep double. Bid 2 Large Chain Hotel/Inn's, 5k for the season (no salt, no walks) includes a return trip during the day for cleanups. 2 off that list were under 3k. Scary.
    Oh ya one is bidding salt at $140 a ton applied, the other is $175 a ton applied. Min 1 ton per application charge. I was at $150 per application.
    So the game will be they charge for 2 tons each time out and cheat the client :nod:
    In the end there service will cost 30% more then my honest upfront price.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008