1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our western unimount will only go to the right!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pavmntdestryr, Dec 20, 2010.

1. pavmntdestryr

pavmntdestryr Junior Member

Please Help!
    We have a 86 chevy silverado with a western unimount with a 9 pin hook up. It's all hooked up with new diodes, a new sylenoid, and new coils on the plow. The problem is no matter what direction we hit the controler, the plow only moves to the right!! Does anyone have any suggestions? Our brain is fried like KFC after this one!

Thanks a bunch,
    Plowin' Bucks

2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Check the wiring on the solenoids compared to western's schematic. Also be sure that your connectors are clean.

3. pavmntdestryr

Thanks, We did wire bush the heck out of everything, including contacs on ground and terminals. We have a wiring schematic we got from western, and I'm pretty sure we have it hooked up right. People from the dealer tell us differnt things about grounding the soleniod. we have tired it both ways and it does the exact same thing.

4. pavmntdestryr

Does that have something to do with the fulid in the plow?

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Under what functions does it tilt to the right?

Up? Down? Left? Right?

This is not a fluid problem.

6. pavmntdestryr

Oh I'm sorry, no matter what direction the controler you push, it tilts right.

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Is the setup brand new on the truck-or had it worked in years past? Very strange that it tilts right even when you hit down.....

Any chance you could try a different controller?

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the s-3 is stuck shifted. pull the valve and push in the end of it with a screwdriver. it should move about 1/8 inch.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If the valve was stuck-why would that cause the motor to run even when hitting down?

10. pavmntdestryr

Ok so I went ahead and pulled out all three of the vaules drained everything and cleaned it all. All but one pushed in with little force. The bottom(longest) one did not push. Cleaned it up a little and it still does the same thing. I am thinking to just go ahead and get a new one. Should I get all three while I am at it?

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

just replace the sticky one.

12. pavmntdestryr

ok well I replaced the vavle and it does the same dang thing.

13. pavmntdestryr

And also we took the motor off, the filter is fine, but the shaft on the pump assembly will only turn freely in one direction. Is it suppose to spin freely in both or at all?

14. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Does the motor run when you hit down?

(I was assuming before the answer is yes, but maybe that was a bad assumption)

15. pavmntdestryr

no, it does not.I didnt relly notice that.

16. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I would try changing your S3 coil with another coil. They should all be interchangeable.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter - so that you could check to see if you are getting power at the coil when you engage functions?

17. pavmntdestryr

yes, I checked and we are getting power to the coils. The coils magnitise as well. I've cleaned or replaced the valves and all the parts in the hydralic block. We have good power at the motor and it seems like it has good pressure. The lifter doesn't move nor does the angling arms.

18. msherman

msherman Junior Member

I had the very same problem and it was my hand held control
    Pad had a crack in the board. I got one at carquest for 35.00

19. pavmntdestryr

Well I don't know. The hand control is brand spankin' new western one and I paid a lot more than 35 bucks for it!

20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If you are getting power where you need-and the coils are magnetizing correctly when you hit the functions, then your problem isn't wiring, the coils, or the controller.

Your best bet is to take all the valves out, flush everything with kerosene or diesel fuel, and refill. Clean it multiple times, and I would flush your angling rams as well. Something is causing your brand new valve to stick.