1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our Web Site

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grazzmazter, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

http://www.facebook.com/TommyGreaseThumb

Check us out for: Fun facts about Snow, Storm updates, Business/Industry Happenings, Cool Videos and much more Snow Related stuff!!

All feedback is welcomed!

Thank you!!:mechanic:

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Grazz: not bustin' on you but givin' feedback...... Why not just get your own website. Not everyone like to cruise over to Facebook. Your own website gives you a better image. Just sayin'

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I would make the picture of you a company logo, and the cover photo clearer.

Facebook pages are hard for landscaping/snow companies. Hard to really find interesting stuff. I would invest in a regular website. My dad had me build him a website using iWeb (came on my Macbook 2010) and the website URL and hosting was through godaddy and only costed $120 for two years. Looks good and can get alot across.

4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

1. Obviously not a website
    2. You customers don't care about your personal interest (picture of drums)
    3. Snapping photo's of yourself sitting in your truck is just weird.
    4. Using photo's of equipment that isn't yours (Dodge with western plow) to look like you have brand new equipment.

I'll leave it at that.

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Triton said it better than me.

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I'm flattered :laughing:

7. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

Thank you for all the feedback!! :)

8. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Hits all the nails on the head.

Mainly because - what happens to all of your information when Facebook holds it hostage when they start charging businesses for a page? What happens if their data server crashes and all data is lost. So far...Facebook pages arent indexed as quickly and seperately as individual web domains are.

9. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

It works great for me! I dont put out that something negative might happen.. so i dont tend to manifest negative situations. Simply lessons in growth... :)

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever works for you - keep doing it. I think of facebook as more of a social media outlet then something to showcase a business.

Alot of business's seem to have there own website, and then there also on facebook too. So I guess it gives people/customers a couple options for info?

11. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

Dude... Thanks for the encouraging words!! I am also a Tattoo Artist and soon will be making a leap into Custom Harley Building soon... I do so much business and the like on Facebook, its crazy! I think the main reason is because everyone is on there like every day... so they are so much more accessable! I dont limit my choices by facebook... i use this site, email, google, ebay, paypal, etc... I will eventually build a site but for now with my startup capital being limited... this is what im workin with.. lol!

12. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Agreed. Also IMHO most customers don't really like snow... Thats why they hire a snow company so pictures of an inch or two will not be impressive to them, same thing with pictures of small mulched beds or a plowed drive. Not trying to put you down, but it is just what I've found.

When it comes to photos I prefer to use impressive pics with my equipment and or my work. Ie an action shot of the truck pushing a lot with 6 or 8" of snow and a mountain in the blade, a huge pile of leaves during fall cleanups, a few hundred square foot patio, things that will make your customers/potential customers think "there's no way I could do that, I should hire them" the deck photos on your page are a good example... Most people don't know how to do decks, the pics of you shoveling a couple inches of snow off a walkway on the other hand, not so much. Again, not knocking you... It's just what I've found.

13. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

No offense taken bro! Thank you for taking time out of you day to type your most honest opinion!! That's what is great about business altogether... bouncing ideas off of other biz owners to see what works for the individual. At the end of the day the business, the owner... they are all very unique in their own way. Great ideas on the thread to get me thinkin when i do do into launching a larger web site! :)

14. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

And making your url end in "TommyGreaseThumb" makes no sense and if that's some nickname you have it doesn't belong there at all.. This again deals with your issue of "personal" things attached to your business.

It's a business page, not your personal profile.

15. Grazzmazter

Grazzmazter Member
    from midwest

While alot of people dont cross lines with business and their personal life.... from the way ive learned to understand business is explained perfectly in Michael Gerber's E-myth Contractor. He says any business is a personal businss... its a family affair weather you want to recognize that fact or not. Basically, he says... the decisions you make in your business directly effect your family... which i agree it does. Ive always had better business "luck" with working on knowing "personal" things about my clients (kids in sports, dog names, hobbies, etc...) and developing more of friendship with them. Thats just me. With Shep's Snow Service.... my marketing direction is focused on the character ive developed called Shep... which is me. I drew up a caricature of myself and have focused on building the name, logo and image up in a way that is light hearted, funny, and friendly. I want to emphasize the fact that this character (Me) is easily approachable, honest and will do the best job for the money.... Marketing for me focuses on talking to the potential clients subconscious mind, which is inevitably where all marketing ends up becoming effective. :)