1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our tractor and truck pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bi-directional, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

Here's some pics of our equipment after we washed it. There's 1 Ford 276, 2 Versatile 276's and 1 Deutz MK 150 missing from the pic. They stay at the driver's house for the winter.

snow 2.jpg

snow 3.jpg

snow 4.jpg

snow 5.jpg

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

where abouts are you from in ontario.
    its rare to see that amount of tractors with blowers only. nice setup.
  3. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

We're near Orillia and work mostly in the ski resort area.
  4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guessing you have contracts with the town to plow the roads with the trucks? or is it a large private development??
  5. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

We plow rural subdivisions for our township with the big trucks. We started doing one small road back in the mid 80's with a tractor and they liked our service so they added more, but we switched to trucks once we got more than the one road to do.
  6. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Nice stuff. That paystar is sweet looking. How big is that coverall style building? How much did it cost ya....ballpark?

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Nice stuff do those Versatiles hold up for you?
  8. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

The paystar is actually a Western Star, but in that pic I could see how it looks like a paystar. The coverall is 50'x120' and I think it cost about 30 grand around 10 years ago.
  9. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

The Versatiles require some constant work (oil lines, control cables, electrical). There is always something to fix but it is usually not major. They are fairly easy to work on but some parts are getting harder to get.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I remember having some on the farm when I was a kid and they were a nightmare maybe they are better now. A friend of mine put a large blower on the front of a Uni and it can move quite a bit of snow I will try to get a pic.
  11. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

The first bi-directionals versatile built were light and not as good. They used Waukesha engines then Perkins and you needed three arms to drive them.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice equipment. I realy like the Allis-Chalmers tractor, the Ford L9000 and the Western Star. What model and how much horse power is the Allis-Chalmers?
  13. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

The Allis is a 8010 with a power shift, it's rated 107 but is a little stronger than that, maybe 120. It also plants corn for us in the spring and use to bale hay but now we use the TV140"s for baling hay.
  14. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Cool pics! I used a Ford 9030 bi-directional earlier this winter and I couldn't get used to the controls. I suppose if you put in enough hours it becomes less of an issue but my hands and feet got tired fast. I think the newer machines are more user friendly.
  15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Nice pics, Some oldies but nice seeing them working.
  16. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

It takes a few trips to get use to them. We find their alot like a skid steer with foot controls. With a regular tractor we find your right hand does all the work controlling the 3pth, hood and shifting gears. The new bi-directional's have very similar controls, just more comfortable to drive.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  17. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

We like the oldies because there alittle smaller, but you get use to the new one's. We are thinking of upgrading to some newer bi-directional's which is a big move for us as we still use our first Versatile we bought in 1988.
  18. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

Like that fleet alot, i'll come work for ya if needed, a bit of a drive though lol
  19. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

That would be a bit of a commute. We had 2 guys that worked for us and had a little over an hour drive to get here but they were always there when we needed them. Most of our guys live close by.
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice equipment. We had a 276 back in the 90's and we liked it except for the road speed and cab comfort. My parents have a cottage in Severn Bridge so I know you get enough snow to keep you busy. One of our guys lives in Midland and he comes for every storm.