1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our plow truck needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by snoboy58, Jan 31, 2016.

1. snoboy58

snoboy58 Junior Member

New to the forums here. I'm a property owner in an association that owns a plow truck and a 52 hp Kubota w/ blower. We use the Kubota to deal with the roads if a lot of snow has accumulated and to keep the full width of the road maintained as we have room to blow. We use our plow truck for a faster way of cleaning and maintaining the roads when we can attack more often. It's pretty much volunteer up there. Our Plow truck a '91 Chevy 2500 is flat wore out and broke down now too but the V blade plow is fairly new and in great shape. I'm wondering what a good replacement truck would be? I myself am a Ford guy and the other board members are also fine with a Ford. Would we need a new plow mount? Are the plow mounts brand specific? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you found basically the same truck (88-98, up to 2000 in some situations) K2500 or 3500 everything should swap over. Depending on the headlights you might have to get some different light adapters but that would be about it.

Find a truck down south or southwest, no sense buying a newer truck that's already rusty and you're in the same spot with a junk pickup in a few years again.
  3. hark

hark Junior Member

Hi Mike. I would say that what truck to buy is best left to personal preference. So a Ford would be a good choice if that is what you and the board like. For the mount, you will need to buy a new mount and wiring for the truck if you are going to take the plow from a Chevy and put it on a Ford. The mounts and wiring are brand specific. If you find a local dealer for the plow, they can help you get the correct mount and wiring.
  4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Fyi it can cost up to 1500 to transfer over to new truck with mounts wiring etc. you could search for same truck u have(make sure years match up) or spend the monet to get it transfered
  5. snoboy58

snoboy58 Junior Member

So the mounts are brand specific. Which means we should stick with Chevy. Are the chevy 3500s a lot beefier than the 2500s?
    We are suspicious that ours is not actually a 3500 even though its badged as such. The frame and drivetrain appear much lighter than one of the 3500s owned by one of us.
  6. hark

hark Junior Member

The mounts will be specific by brand as well as for the generation of the truck. If the truck is the same body style ('88-'98), then there is a greater likelihood that everything will be compatible. Make sure to keep that in mind.
  7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Not just brand specific but certain years as well. What kind of plow is it?
  8. snoboy58

snoboy58 Junior Member

No idea, its a V plow. I'll be obtaining that info this weekend. I was not in charge of the equipment until recently so have to bring myself up to speed.
  9. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Not a bad piece of information to have before asking us all for help.

This weekend huh? Can't just text whomever drove the truck?
  10. DCPower

DCPower Junior Member
    from MA

If you want to keep the mount and wiring you have now, I think it would fit a GMC of the same year and vintage as the Chevy as I believe the mounts and wiring between the Chevys and GMCs are the same for any given model year.