1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our newest additions.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by gottaloveOT, Jan 6, 2009.

1. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

We got these this summer to replace our old and very worn out Cushman Haulsters that were only used for spreading salt. Before these we had Toro 345s with cabs and hydraulic rotary brushes to clear the sidewalks and the Cushmans and Toro Workman 4200s to salt. The downtown crew supervisor wanted to replace his Cushman with a Workman and we wanted to replace ours with something better that wasn't a Workman. So we gave them our Workman and got these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2008 John Deere Gator XUV 620cc Fuel Injected Twin
    PowerTach Full Hydraulic Plow cut down to 62"
    AccuSpread Stainless Steel Drop Spreaders
    Hydraulic tilt bed

Trying to get the higher ups to let us get the power steering kits for these. They weren't available when we purchased them but now are. They are electric kits that come off some European car. These will beat you to death trying to plow without the power steering. 8+ hours in one and the next day you feel it.

The bad things I have found with them is the plows are slow to move. They need a higher flow pump and a pressure relief on the lines. At first the lines could not be disconneted without a hammer and punch. And then to reconnect you had to tap the male hydraulic ends with a hammer to relieve the pressure but that would cause fluid to spray all over. Now they seem fine and I have no idea why. Also, the first time we used on, the plow broke off the a-frame mount. You can see in the third picture there are two "pins" about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" in diameter on the pivot frame. They are cast steel they snapped off flush with the pivot frame the first time we took it out. Seems to be a fluke cause we haven't had an issue since with either one. Powertach is the company that makes the frame. They also sell a rototiller attachment for it too. They need to make a broom attachment.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Cool:drinkup: Is the cab heated?

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

nice i like the gator plow setup!

4. gottaloveOT

Yeah. Just like automotive heaters. There are lines running to a heater core with a fan. The only problem is they don't blow on the floor so your feet get cold.

5. KCB

KCB Senior Member

Argh:realmad: Cold feet is the worst... I guess you could get some of those little heating packs they sell for hunting boots... Oh well, still a nice machine, and the radio should take your mind off the fact your boots are frozen to the floor, right....:D

6. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

nice i need one of them for my sidewalk crew they would be great.

7. gottaloveOT

Yeah, but cold, wet feet are even worse.

And these don't have the radio. Didn't think they would allow it. I tried to use my ipod last time I ran one but I couldn't hear my two-way. They are pretty loud in the cabs too.

They work great. They are tanks. I can plow up snow piles at what seems to be a 45* angle.

8. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice. You can always take a piece of flex tube attach it to one of the upper vents and snake it down towards the drivers feet. Just an idea.

9. gottaloveOT

Good idea. Might have to try that.

10. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

also if the have a 12v plug there are some companies that make little heaters that plug into the cigarette lighter

11. gottaloveOT

They do. Right now they have a little light I bought for them in the plug. We didn't get the dome light option. I guess I didn't notice it when I speced it out.

The problem is they run with all 5 lights on, the parking lights, the blower on high and the beacon. Then they complain that the plow won't raise very fast. Duh, the electrical load with all that stuff on is huge. To large for even the high amp alternator that is on them. So add in another high draw device and I can see a possible wiring meltdown.

12. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I am not trying to be negative OT, but as I read this post you sure do have a lot of drawbacks to these purchases as eveyone says how neat they are. What made you buy them with all these shortcomings? It sounds like you are going to have some unhappy operators when you have a cold and significant storm that calls for long hours. Again, they look nice and useful.

13. gottaloveOT

For the most part, these are great machines. Just a few little things that are more annoying than bad. I would have them purchase more if the need arises. Our JD dealer just started selling the plows and the same with the spreaders and so they didn't have a chance to get feedback from other users.

Very rarely do we plow or salt for more than 4 hours in one of those so it doesn't really cause an issue. But if somebody was thinking about purchasing one of these, I wanted to give some feedback from a user. I had somebody from Jackson Prison call me asking about them cause they were told we had them and they were thinking about getting some. Unfortunatly it was during the summer and we hadn't used the plows or spreaders yet so I couldn't be of much help.

Also, we didn't have much say in what we got. We just say what we need it for, what options we would like to have and another department/person specs them out with two or three other companies and then they choose what we get. We did tell them we didn't want a Toro though. They were $10K more than these anyway.

14. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Sounds good.

15. gottaloveOT

Okay. So now I might not recommend these plows as much as at first.

The other plow now broke the same way the first one did. Snapped right off at the mounting pins. Where the guy was plowing, there was nothing he could have hit to have caused it to break.

I may have to call the company who makes these and have some words.

16. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Love that little Green loader in the background of the first pic. Is it for sale?

17. gottaloveOT

No, and it is junk. The body has been fixed with bondo. It feels like the cab is going to fall off on uneven ground. It leaks oil. The boom settles on its own. And it is from the seventies. We use it to load salt in our trucks. Works great for that. And it has no heat.

18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Have you guys looked into the Japanese mini trucks? they have full cab/heat/ac/dump bed and cost probably 1/2 of those JD's

19. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Thanks, Just asking!xysport