1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our new toy

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Brian Young, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

1999 Dresser 510C. It goes in for a make over this coming week, replacing glass, 4 tires, full service and some odds and ends.

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Looks good. We are looking for a decent used mid size like that. How many hours does it have? I have never operated a Dresser. How do you like it so far?

3. Brian Young

The hour meter stopped working a 1160 but a local business traded it in and said from the average day of use there is around 4k. I believe it, its the original paint and the underneath and engine compartment are very clean. The only thing Ive done to it is sit in it,lol. I've never ran one before just like anything else, a little practice and I should be good to go. I'm debating what tires I should get. The dealer is going to replace all four but I dont know if the ag tread is better than other types or not but should move some snow. We're putting the new BX12 on it.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Good for you Brian....care to share what you paid for it? & what kind of tires are you getting?

Definitely need to post some pics of it all spruced up & the boss attached:cool:

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yes, must see it when complete with the Boss.

6. Brian Young

Thanks sno. I wanted to get some opinions on tires. The dealer is going to replace all 4 but I was wondering about the different tread types. I wanted to know about the tread that has a more "blocky" type pattern, I don't know if blocky is the right word to describe them but not ag or the type of tread that goes in wavy solid ribs across the tire. You know what I mean,lol :dizzy:

7. Brian Young

I paid 22k for it with them replacing the windshield, side door and window, 4 tires and a full service. I was sitting in it today and found a few more things they're gonna be fixing....the heater controls are inop and we dont even know if the heater works. We sign the papers on Wed. so this gives me plenty of time to negotiate.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

9. Brian Young

10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The name of the tread pattern you are trying to describe is an industrial type of tread pattern. Tire size will be the leading factor in which tires you have to choose from. 17 x 25 is probably what you have on that size loader. I prefer radials but they are usually a bit more expensive than bias ply tires. I have heard some people on this site say that they prefer the bias ply tires for snow removal. I have also heard mention of snow specific tread patterns for loaders though I have not seen nor heard of them in the field. IMO the industrial pattern will get better traction, and wear better than the agricultural pattern like those on that loader now. My Deere 544J (3 yard loader) has XTLA 20.5 x 25 Michelin radials (L2 tread pattern) on it. Here's a link:
    http://www.michelinearthmover.com/html/tires/XTLA.html

11. rattler

rattler Junior Member
    from PEI

12. Brian Young

Thanks for the tire heads up. The "Industrial" type is exactly what I was thinking of.

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Brian,
    rattler posted exactly what I was talking to you about.....try to get the company to put those on

14. Brian Young

Yep, hopefully they are open on Monday.

15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Looking good man, That pusher is going to look some good on that loader, Maybe we should get you out from under those fisher plows on the trucks now and then your good to go. I will call your tomorrow.

16. Brian Young

LOL, the Fisher's are paid for, I'm going to run those til' they look like swiss cheese.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Looks good. I was actually just on an earlier 515 Dresser on auction. Didn't wind up with it though. Does yours have a Cummins?

18. Brian Young

From the specs I found on line it said its a Komatsu (or however you spell it) 103hp.

19. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Brian,

That machine should be able to handle a little bigger pusher don't you think?

20. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I thought the same thing