1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

our new heater

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by NorthernSvc's, Feb 19, 2011.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

finally got the new shop heater working!!! scre w u nicor wesport...big upfront cost, but it's definately gonna pay for itself!! so far we've burned 80 gallons of used oil... if your in my area and need a dump let me know!

IMG_0066.jpg

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Nice!!... Tell us about it.

How big is the shop?
    How much waste oil does it eat?
    How much did the system cost you?

I think they banned them in Ontario but may be wrong.

3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

second that

4. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

How much did it end up costing you, we drop off alot of old oil through out the year might be something worth looking into.

5. NorthernSvc's

our shop is 40x60 with a 12 ft ceiling, it is uninsulated. This is the energy logic 140,000 BTU model, so far ( even in the zubzero temps we had last week, and without installing any duct work) it has done an awesome job of keeping our shop above freezing 40 when we are not there, and when we are there we bump it up to 55-60, doesn't take long to gt it up to temp. it burns 1 gallon of waste oil per hour of runtime, what i love about the energy logic is how cleanly and efficiently it burns. i only have to clean the thing out once a year, and clening consists of pushing the ashes out... way better than all of the other ones out on the market ranging from daily to monthly cleaning of the unit.
    As far as price goes energy logic is definately the most expensive, but like everything else out there you get what you pay for. I paid 6,700.00 for mine ( that included tax) it came with everything you see ( minus the galvinized vent pipe). including the 250 gallon tank.

So far i am very impressed, it was somewhat of a pain to install, took me 2 days ( mainly because i am not hvac savvy, but i got through it i could have hired someone to do it but im cheap and didn't want to pay the $500.00...
    during the blizzard i had to pull my guys off the street some of them ended up crashing in the shop due to the conditions, they cranked it up to 80 ( unbeknownst to me...) it had no problem heating that building.

6. iowasnow

iowasnow Junior Member

Keep it clean. They are a pain in the rear to keep up. But great heat makers

7. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

you will be chasing oil year round like me!! Always trying to find oil. Thats the only bad thing. Technically your not allowed to take other peoples oil also, you don't know whats exactly in it. I love mine also, sometimes a pain to deal with, but worth it. I also burn about 1 to 1.5 gallons an hour. Usually go through 4 tots. about 1200 gallons.

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

JD has something like that if I remember correctly

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's a much better one then I have. Waste oil furnaces arnt very big around here and I bought a 200,000 btu one brand new for $2400. It works great but you have to clean it everyday and it only has high and low. It will keep our 7200 sq ft shop very warm running it for 6 or 8 hours A day. We go through 20-40l of oil per day depending on how long we run it. I can get as much oil as I want for nothing because its illegal for anyone to burn used oil in Canada except for farmers. I will upgrade to a better a self cleaning unit in the next few years.

10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Damn just when I thought I was onto something, JD had to burst my bubble. I think I am going to become a farmer.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen you Paul you could pass for a farmer. Lol

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice, that should do well for you.

13. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Check it out, that might only be in Ontario, you guys have your own set of rules remember :drinkup:

14. NorthernSvc's

YEa lots of posts on here about cleaning the thing... unlike most waste oil heaters Energy logic heaters are so efficient, and burn so clean that it only needs to be cleaned once a year. And i use clean lightly becuase all that includes is pushing out ashes.... it is definately more expensive, but what i loose in money i make up for in not having to clean the thing everyday, week or month... check them out they are definately worth the money...

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

If you ever need oil let me know, right now we give it to our mechanic for disposal/recycling (free of charge to me).

16. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

your right in my hood, ill have ot let you know when i get some oil. i usually give it to another guy i know that has one in his auto shop but he always has plenty and whines when i bring it by so ill let you know.

17. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

That looks really cool!

18. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Nice heater! You will enjoy it using it every day.

We have a Clean Burn furnace and have had no major problems with it. It warms over 4000 sq. ft. easily.
    One thing is that ours uses a ton of oil. Make sure your oil source isn't contaminated.
    We have a few farmers that supplement our own used oil and that seems to get us through the cold months. We run new fuel oil if we run short of used oil. I know some units you cannot do that though.

We have used about 4 totes of oil so far since the fall. As for cleaning, it says every 1000 hours of use.

A few years ago they changed the rules so now it is illegal to use these commercially, only agricultural operations are permitted in Ontario for some reason.

It is nice to have almost "free" heat. It beats the price of furnace oil to heat a shop.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  19. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

thats awesome!!!

20. NorthernSvc's

shoot me an a-mail when your ready! straight oil only!!!!! no gas, antifreeze....