1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our local city plows.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joethevacman14, Jan 5, 2004.

1. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Heres what our local city plows look like for doing residential streets. For the main roads, we have international dump trucks filled with gravel. Anyways, here it is, a ford, meyer plow, and a whelen edge lightbar:

s2400001.jpg

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

How about salt for the same streets?

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

That truck will sure be getting a workout tonight with all that snow moving in. I think Vancouver is getting 12" I imagine NW Washington would be the same or more.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Very simple. Government buys the cheapest thing they can. Doesn't matter how high the repair bills are. That the false economy school they graduate from.

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

Nothing cheap there in that set up Bolts.

6. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

What city is that?

7. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

The city is Yakima, WA. We are expecting 3" to 1' after 12am tonight.?:D

The city also has a flatbed ford with a huge poly tank filled with a de-icer on it and a row of jets and they sprayed all of the roads with it about 2-3 months ago but with all of the snow we've had and the layer of 1" + of compacted snow over it, it isn't working well. So, I guess the county resorts to "Sand" as they call it but it is actually a dump truck filled with gravel and a spinner, city same too. All of the intersections around town have a whole mess of gravel on them. Does anyone know the difference between gravel and salt?

He's right, there is nothing cheap in that bucket of bolts. Plus, our shi**y mayor resigned and we have 5 new counsel members so Yakima is in for a change. If anyone wants to know how our present mayor has drove Yakima into the ground, e-mail me jrw14493@charter.net -- I'll fill ya in!

Also, I am very close to the Country first out break of Mad Cow -- with in 30 mi. If ya wanna know how that is affecting us, i'll fill ya in too! g2g, dad is calling! Happy plowing to all, and to all a good night!:salute:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2004
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

in southwestern ct we have contracts with city macks with 10 or 12 ft plows and sanders and for the turnarounds 95% of our fleet are 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with meyers husky blades series plows

9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

looks like a pretty nice truck for a town truck. most town trucks ive seen are beat up

10. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

Well, that is just one of the handful of new ford trucks. All of the dumptrucks in the county are at least '95 and have rusted and well used plows on them as well as a single strobe beacon. I saw a city plow on my way home today and it was a dumptruck that looked fairly new but I didnt get a look at the plow. We are expecting another 8" of snow before the morning plus the 3" we got today. I wish I had a plow.......:D

11. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Joey, I envy you guys over there. I'm from Arlington. My aunt and uncle live over in Yakima. Always can count on some snow there...

Blake
    WA

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

Its pretty sad when private contractors have better equipment than municipalities. At my company we run a 2004 Pete 330 with a baker/flink plow and a flink spreader all the bells and whistles