1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Our ' 97 Jeep Cherokee

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Sno4U, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

We can plow with this!!!
    This is our ' 97 Jeep Cherokee.
    It has the 4.0 in line 6 cyl. currently right around 189K mi.
    4 sp. OD Auto Tranny w/ shift on the fly 4 wheel drive

Plow is a 6.5 ft Meyers poly plow w/ a E60 lift unit that I had from another rig. Plow is very FAST seeing as the lift is intended for larger steel blades.

We'll usually run 300 lbs of salt and a small snowblower fro ballast.

Really U can plow w/ just about anything-just ook at all the ATV's out there!
    But this does the trick for us.

PS: my wife runs this rig and does small commercial mostly with it!

DSCN0446.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

Nice! I have a '99 Cherokee Sport which I want to put a plow on. Do you ever have problems with the Jeep or the plow? Thanks-

3. Lawn Enforcer

Also, I forgot to ask in my last post, what kind of battery/alternator are you running? Do you run a tranny cooler? Thanks!

4. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well to be honest w/ ya, I don't know if it has a tranny cooler. We didn't put one on. We've had the vehicle 7 years now. We've only had the plow on the last 3 years, W/O any problems w/ the tranny.
    The biggest problem which I understand is pretty common to these Jeeps is the guage cluster F&%$s up!! Ours works when it wants to. Ya hit a bump it goes out; ya hit another bump it comes back on! Some times it stays on for days/ a month. Other times it goes off & on all day. As long as it keeps working most of the time I'm not gonna stick that much money into it.
    As far as the alternator thats never been touched so as far as I know, its stock.
    We've put a battery into it-nothing big, just a Farm & Fleet "special".
    The vehicle does have a class3 trailer hitch, so I would suspect it has a tow pkg which could mean it DOES have a tranny cooler. Either way its never run hot -even on the freeway at 60mph.
    I don't think Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep run hot like GM's tend to do,but I could be wrong.

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Nice....i bet that is good for driveways!

6. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

is that pic with all of the mentioned ballast? looks good, the plow rides high

7. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Nice rig...

8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

In this Pic it has the blower and 3.5 bags (175#'s ??) in it. Even w/ all the salt mentioned it doesn't sag that much. It'll usually sit level. Its no bumper dragger!!
    I did purposely put up a pic w/ the plow in the up position 'cause I knew most of the ??? would be about "how does it carry???"

Yes, it's a great driveway machine!!!
    After i plow w/ my big ol' Dodge and the salter on, and then I jump in this, and maybe do a "call in" It seems like the back window is right behind the seat!
    The only thing more maneuverable is my Skidsteer.

Oh and forgot to mention: This plow doesn't really bag drag very well b/c it's so light. Obviously my 8.5 ft Western MVP does better at backdragging, BUT this rolls the snow alot better. Seldom have a problem w/ sticking.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  9. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

WE CALL THEM LIL FELLERS AROUND BUT THERE GREAT IN THE TIGHT LOTS THANKS FOR THE PIC....... NOW LETS SEE THE WIFEY :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

10. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice Jeep

How much sag?

11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

In the wife or in the Jeep?!!
    Oh, the Jeep. Jeep sits level when loaded. Rite now w/ plow up the back is still up just a bit but once ya put in the all the weight then its level w/ plow up. Plow down backs' a bit lower.
    Also, seeing as you can lay down the back seat you can shift the weight more forward so the back doesn't go down. That way the vehicle is more balanced as opposed to just having the weight behind the axles.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  12. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Looks good. My daily driver is a 98 cherokee sport. With the K&N intake and flowmaster 40 series exhaust she moves for an suv.

13. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yes I'm very happy w/ the power.
    The 4.0 puts out 190hp/stock.
    I'm sure U must be over 210 w/ just a couple of mods.
    When we bought it, the previous owner put some stuff on it. Special spark plugs (split fire) a good set of wires and stuff like that.
    We've pretty much let it go back to stock since, but when we 1st had it it REALLY zipped. :yow!:Now its just quick.:rolleyes:

14. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Looks good! Heck that looks cleaner than my 01, but I have really beat on it. I love plowing with mine.

15. Lawn Enforcer

Thanks for the info!

16. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Sure would like to have one of those on this old '92. So far SnowBear has done all it's been asked to do, but fully hydraulic is the next step up for these wicked snowy Maine winters.

Will store that info for fture shoppings 6.5 Poly w E60.

BTW - What model controls?

17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well I need to restress that the E60 lift unit, if bought by itself, which you would have to, seeing as this is kind of a hodge podge, put together unit, is something like $1333.00. I have no idea what the plow would have come w/ originally.
    What model controls? Not really sure. I looked it up in the book(JThomas-parts catalogue) and it just says"quick-lift" controller. Its like a black square box thats completely flat on the top where the keys are. You only have a rim to to find the controller in the dark when your plowing. NOT the best part of this plow set up but I had little choice! At least each button is lighted. Oh and that runs $129.
    When I put this whole thing together I Bought the blade for $150, I had the lift unit(freebie) so I also had to buy the vehicle "carton", the controller, solenoid and battery cables/misc. wiring harness. All told I probably got about $800-$900 into the plow. Ya can't buy a good, fully hydraulic, poly blade for that!

As soon as I can figure out how to resize the photo I just took of the controller I'll put it up!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008