1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ouch!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by JCI Trans, Mar 1, 2010.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

With a few hours left in fridays storm, i was sent to help another driver on his route. Well, between being unfamiliar with the area and having 12" on the ground, I managed to do a little damage. I was pushing with the blade angled away from a sidewalk, and the leading edge caught a road drain (the kind that are cut into the curbs). With nowhere else to go, BOOM!!. Local guy had the part, so i was only down about an hour. I think im gonna go get my fillings checked out tomorrow. :dizzy:

plow ram.jpg

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

looks like it bent the a frame too. I've never in my life seen a ram broken like that, been plowing 25 yrs.

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Where the ram mounts to plow side there was a little bend where the bolt goes through, otherwise everything else is straight. Im gonna take it apart this week and bend it back, just so there is no rubbing or unnecessary wear from it being slightly misaligned. When i went to pick up the part they had one that looked just like it sitting on the oarts counter. Ive never seen anything like it either, that thing has to weigh 10 lbs.

4. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

That slight bend on top is from stacking. I put some old radiator hose on the tower to prevent metal on metal contact during stacking.

5. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Man that's nasty! Is there no cross over relief that would have prevented that? Or did it collapse and bend? That must have made one hell of a racket! Lucky YOU didn't suffer any damage.

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing, but nothing released. I went over the truck very carefully when i got home and saw no other effects. Was a pretty easy repair and i was back up and running.

7. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Easy repair+back up and running quickly+no bodily damage=happy plow guy:)
    :nod:

8. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Agreed! :drinkup:

9. becpropertymain

becpropertymain Member

wow just wow i have seen one bend but wow

10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

So ........ How fast were you going?

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Words out of my mouth. This has my attention. I just picked up an 8.5' MVP-Poly last week. :eek:

12. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

lucky you still have all your teeth!

13. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

figures thats what happens when you buy a western

14. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I was just turning a corner and about to head down a straight road, so no more than 10. If i was already going straight it probably would have been double that. It was after the snow ended and it was probably the 3rd time it had been plowed (once by me and twice by the other guy) so i was getting a little speed to throw the snow over the previous windrow sitting by the curb. Oh well next time ill stick to the area that i know. :waving:

15. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well I guess not all is bad at least you had a chance to break something

16. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

It was the leading edge of the blade, so it had no opportunity to trip. Had it been angled the other way it probably would have just ridden around it. Ive had this setup since i picked up the truck in '04 and this is the first part i've ever had to change.

17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

dam...like a few other guys said...i never seen that happen before....glad u got it patch up...but wow

18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

WOW, :dizzy:

19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Tell me about it. Thing weighs just a tick under 1000lbs. wesport

20. ohchit

ohchit Junior Member

It looked like it was just a scratch. A little rubbing compound and it will look like new again.