1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

OUCH!! How much for that New Fuel Pump!??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by old skool, Feb 11, 2010.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

While plowing for an hour or so early Tuesday morning, my 97 K3500 died a couple of times for no apparent reason. It was down around a qtr tank of gas, so I stopped and filled it. After 60 some dollars of fuel, I went to start it and no go. Cranked, but no fire.

I was only a couple blocks from the local Chevy dealer, so I waited til they opened. We planned to pull the truck back so they could scope out the problem. When we got back to the truck (almost an hour later) to pull it back,it started and ran fine.

I decided to finish plowing another couple of hours...it ran good. Took it back to the dealer and of coarse started fine. Fuel pump pressure and amp draw was good. Having 102,000 miles on the clock, I decided to have anew fuel pump installed. With the tank completely full, they decided to pull the box off.

The new fuel pump was around 150 bucks for a GM unit. (remember the $15 ones that had two bolts on the side of the block?) But, the big "ream job" came when the sender unit was showing signs of leaking... $408 list price!? :realmad: Where the "H" do they get that kind of price out of that?

All in all, the complete job ended up costing over 700 bucks... Only good thing is the parts and labor have a lifetime warranty on them.. ....

I did get kind of a kick out ot the fact I let them know that my last truck ( a 1980 K30, dually) had over 300,000 miles on it before I sold it....chances are I will need another pump before I'm done with the old girl.:drinkup:.

Anyone else have fuel pump problems?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Average fuel pump/sender R&R is around $500-$700 for most trucks built in the last 15 years or so. Parts aren't cheap and either is labor.

3. overtime

overtime Senior Member

We just replace a fuel pump inm the shop that was a 96 2500 van it was 33 or 36 gal and it was 475 out the door. The we did another fuel pump in a 2005 s10 and it was 650. Everything in crazy.

4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

i just replaced mine in my 95 k1500 it cost me 300 for the pump

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i did mine 36 gal sending uni and fuel pump 350 for all nice and ez cut straps put new in took 20 min

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

This is why I love dump boxes... access to the top of the tank, flip a switch quick swap out.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Its a relatively involved job...you either have to crawl in there and (I think) drop the fuel tank or remove the bed to get at it.

Had mine done at a long shop in the fall and it was about $700 too. They said it would have been $400 if they could have gotten the bed off but it turns out one of the prior owners had the bed welded to the frame, so it wouldn't budge an inch. Makes me wonder if there was a gooseneck hitch in there at some point.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

At least you put in a Genuine GM pump. It pays to shop around for prices, and a dealer will almost always be the most expensive. I did my Tahoe myself. $275 all in. Brand new GM pump/sending unit assy, with new pigtail.

9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

SAme $700.....:rolleyes:

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine gets pumps from Napa for about $300. Takes him about 2hrs to do one at the most. Take the bolts out of the bed on the side with the tank, loosen the bolts on the other side, tip the bed up to gain access to the tank. Just make sure you disconnect the fuel neck and watch so you don't stretch/break any wires.

He and I did a pump in a 97 s10 in about an hour and 15 min, that included spending 20 minutes having problems getting the new pump to lock in the tank.

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Different ones that I know cut a hole in the bed floor just over the fuel pump and make it into a door so they have easy access to the fuel pump.

The last pump/sending unit I replaced was on my 98 K2500, the unit was a Delphi that cost around $325 from carquest, easy swap. $0 labour. I will rarely go to a garage, just do not see the point of paying someone $60 to $70 an hour for something I can do.

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Be glad it wasn't a diesel injector pump.