1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ottawa Says "No no" To Early Driveway Marker Installation

Discussion in 'Discount Snow Stakes' started by DiscountSnowStakes, Oct 24, 2014.

1. DiscountSnowStakes

DiscountSnowStakes Senior Member
    from Boston

Can't believe it... won't believe it... Never too early to stake, article HERE via our blog or, view it direct at the Ottawa CitizenHERE

new slogan?
  2. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Some places around Northern Virginia just leave them up year round =D
  3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Okay, here is another instance where government bureaucracy is at its worst. Certainly, the City of Ottawa has better things to do than to micro-manage the timing of marking driveways, right? I do think that the markers in this particular instance are a bit "gaudy" with the BIG company name placards at the top. Of course I understand the reasoning (two fold really). The contractor feels like hey if I gotta spend money on these things, I might as well put them to work for me. The accounts with them broadcast to the neighbors who to call to get their drives done. Also, it makes it real easy for the contractor to see as he drives down the street which accounts are his to clear without having to try to find address #'s in the dark in the middle of the night during a storm. But it does make you wonder, if the markers were just the plain fiberglass poles w/o the big billboards at the top, would the City have cared and made the contractor remove them? Also, what about the homeowners who mark their own, usually with the little red round reflectors at the top? Do they have to comply with the same ordinance? If not, isn't this law more about big brothering the contractors in the area and less about too many driveway markers?