1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Other trades or jobs to have while the snow isn't failling

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RonWin, Dec 9, 2011.

1. RonWin

RonWin Senior Member

Just bought an 09 f250 with a 8' fisher plow for this season's snow plowing. However, when the snow isn't falling I'm out of work. I have thought about trying to get into a trade that is able to be practiced throughout the winter. If not a trade, anything that I can do to make money with my truck would be fine too. I guess this is more of a brainstorming thread for jobs that are availible in the next couple doom and gloomy months. Anyone here have any other jobs or trades they practice during this time? I would say that where I lack experience I make up for in motivation and physical fitness. What other jobs that bring income do you guys have when the weather isn't cooperating?

2. Curro

Curro Member

I rebuild and restore Jeep Wranglers out of my garage. Its fun and brings in some extra income. I have sold 3 wranglers since September..

3. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

Semi-pro thumb twittler. When it becomes an Olympic sport I'll be set. Seriously I usually try to pick up odd jobs here and there through friends. Like cleaning gutters or power washing , leaf work etc. don't need an MBA and usually pays ok

4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I had a buddy do general labourer for construction company while plowing.

Right from the get go he told them he would be plowing during storms so he wouldn't be in on time, or at all that day depending on the situation. Boss was cool with it, seemed like a sweet deal for him. Obviously made more money plowing but the construction filled in the gaps.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I (for now) work on public transit bus's. Been doing it for 9yrs now, however, we just switched management companies this past June and the new boss isn't so keen on be not being there in the early mornings in the winter. My last boss liked that i have a plowing business because they didn't need me full time so, if i wasn't there they didn't have to pay me. I guess the new boss thinks differently.
    IDK, the wheels are turning in my head. I do pretty well plowing, hoping that I can start to flip cars (and become a dealer, other wise I can only do 5 a year in Michigan) in the near future and set my own schedule, wrench, plow, ect.ect.ect... Just waiting for the wife to get a job that could support both of us, just in case. Oh yeah, going to have to do it debt free, or not at all.

6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I work part-time at a mom-and-pop auto parts store, which I have been at for a long, LONG time. I only have like 1 scheduled day a week, but its mostly my boss calls me up and "hey, what are you doing today? wanna come in for a few hours?" but they're cool with what I do and they know if its snowing, I'm probably not coming in if I am scheduled or not to call me to come in. I worked there way before I started my landscaping/plowing business, and as my business grew bigger and bigger, I faded back from working there full time to just a few hours here and there a week. My boss and the owner have seen my business go from nothing to what it is now, and they know what I've put into it and that I'm not going to blow off my business to go there and make peanuts (comparatively). I did actually "quit" for a while, but I always ended up going there on Wednesday nights when my boss and the one other guy were the only 2 there and we'd shoot the ***** for a couple hours, and if it got busy I'd jump back in and help out a little, and my boss finally said "will you stop just coming in and sitting here and just start punching in again?" All that said, its not a ton of money, but its a little something extra for beer on the weekend, and I actually really enjoy working there. I don't think most people or places would allow my situation though, so I'm thankful to be able to do it the way I do.

7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I sweep parking lots at night when there isn't snow and live off of my wife's income.

8. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

I drive a Roll-Off trash truck for a living and during the winter business slows down and when it snows we almost come to a halt. I have worked there for many years and they understand that I push snow so all I have to do is call when it snows so they know I won't be in. Nothin happens when I call in since when I do come in I have to clear the entrance to the employee lot when I get done. Thumbs UpThumbs Up

So I guess find a job with a cool boss ;)

9. FourDiamond

FourDiamond Senior Member

Own a few apartment buildings and strip centers. So I'm the real estate agent and the guy who does the general maintenance. That's how I started in the lawn care and snow removal. Once I bought trucks and other pieces of equipment for the real estate end, I might as well use it for other things.

10. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

Im a journeymen union wiremen (electrician) work is traditionally slow in winter, so i sit in a plow truck usually..... or play video games when its not snowing.

11. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

When it isnt snowing i make sure to get everything on my truck working correctly or make things a little neater. If its not my truck im working on a buddys getting it ready for the next storm, If its not their truck Im sitting on the couch watching tv and searching criagslist for something i dont have money for anyways

12. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I crunch my numbers so I know where I'm at and where I'm going. Thinking of starting a "Basement cleaning business for pack rats" Seems like that my net some hours of labor helping folks get things cleaned up.

13. xjsnake

xjsnake Member
    from NW Ohio

I'm considering taking some welding classes at the local community college so that I can make some money welding for people and have an easier time keeping up the plows during the offseason.

14. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

im also a union electrician like ajcoop20 said construction slows in the winter so plowing fills the gaps.

15. ajcoop20

ajcoop20 Senior Member

Hey brother, good to see another sparky on here, Are your a inside wiremen or a wideback cedar monkey :-D haha

16. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

Inside wireman local 163

17. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

I have my own welding/fabrication company, here in NJ its my full time gig and plowing is the part time job. but it seems ever since I started my own company I plow for my friends company less and fix his equipment during the storms more. but in the offseason I reskin a lot of plows and modify mounts

18. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Contract Archaeologist, when there is work, its been dead for the last 3 years, unless I want to work for peanuts..

I have used the job shops (temp agency) to fill in gaps for both, but no one will work around my plowing, not that we get much snow or anything and they sure do not pay enough for me not to plow. So lately I just sit and hope the snow falls along with clearing out the random junk I can pawn off on people on Craigslist.

I have owned several different business, most of which all have either went out of business, I got fed up with it or I sold out...

I plow just to give me something to do in the winter and to make a few bucks to pay my bills, I could work in archaeology but I hate to be out in the cold for 10+ hours a day straight anymore, getting to old for that.

As soon as winter weather breaks,I hope that I am busier then a one legged man in a but kicking contest thanks to you all up in NE. I did the cultural survey for the KXL pipeline a few years ago, which you all want moved. So that gives me 200+ miles of line, pipe yards, access roads, pump stations etc. that have to be surveyed plus any re-routs...
    Maybe 2 years worth of work or more!!

19. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I've never heard of a "Contract Archaeologist", and of course as a layman the word archaeologist makes me think of digging up dinosaur bones and ancient clay pots and such. So, I guess what you actually do is make sure projects like that pipeline won't disturb anything archaeologically significant and propose what to do if it must?

20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You are half correct.
    Dinosaur is Paleontology
    Actually it is called Cultural Resource Management, or CRM Archaeology but I think of it as Contract since I am basically a Mercenary and work for the highest paying projects, if I can. Or I guess I would be a prostitute, since I only work for people that treat me good and pay me more :laughing:

Ancient clay pots are rare to find, except for small pieces, but I have seen them found..The picture is grave goods found with a burial, late woodland, maybe 1500 years old if I remember correctly, been a few years ago.

Think of Archaeology as digging up dead peoples trash, as anything over 50 years old (most states) is an archaeological site.

Contract Archaeologist is kinda like salvage archaeology, we go in and salvage what information and artifacts we can before it is destroyed by construction of what ever is going to be there. Its For Profit, not like the work done by universities or what you see on the History Channel. We do work in 2 months what they show on tv that takes 2 years....

The last sentence you wrote is dead on, that is exactly what I do, be it advice to re route the project, or remove the site completely by hand excavation....

Fixed-DSCF0384.jpg