1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Other than the controllers, thoughts on electric UTG spreader?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by edshipp19, Jan 30, 2014.

1. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

As title states, I need another another spreader and leaning toward the SaltDogg electric UTG unit.
    We have many electric vboxes from buyers and a bunch of spare controllers so i am not worried about the controller problems.
    How is the rest of the unit?

Thanks

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Check your PM's lest I upset the sponsors.

3. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Thanks mark

4. res201cue

res201cue Senior Member

we run them on 2 of our tri-axle dumps that are contracted with the state. I assume your looking at one for a smaller dump body but figured there pretty much the same except for size. we had 1 controller fail and about 3 spinner motors kick the bucket in 2 seasons. now granted the spreaders usually run anywhere from 14-20 hours per shift so they do take some abuse. when they work there great but if your running long hours and tons of material hydraulic spreaders are the only way to go IMO.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Amen and amen. Thumbs Up

6. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

What would you recommend for a gmc 4500 mason dump then ? I hate gas engines and not putting hydraulics on truck. I had a snowex 2400 on it that I hated.
    Truck usually spreads about 20-30 tons a storm. I have another f450 that has a 4 yd dogg that we really liked until this last storm with super cold temps. Every auger spreader we had froze solid. How are the Downeaster electrics? 2-3yard capacity will prob work fine as truck stays on one site where bulk is stored

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IF you properly install and maintain the Electric UTG they work well.

Dollar for dollar they are a good choice for dumps with electric over hydraulic dump bodies that would require the addition of central hydraulics.

The controllers are susceptible to surges so I recommend disconnecting them when not in use.

You need to properly route the wiring or you will be constantly repairing it.

Remember ice and slop will "grow" on dangling wires creating issues.

Unlike the poly hoppers the spinner motor on the UTG lives in a consent brine and needs to be shown particular care, the aluminum in the OEM spinner motors will corrode if left unmaintained. The unit need to be cleaned and desalted after every use.

They are certainly not a replacement for a devoted hydraulic salt body, and I would go hydraulic IF engine driven hydraulics are available, If you spread 50/75 tons on a daily basis I would spend the money to have central hydraulics installed, however I have a number of customers using them with great success, including one with six units on 18 wheel dumps doing municipal roadway. I have heard a few complaints about other issues but those seem to be the most prevalent.

In your area I would talk to ESI (Jim or Noble) I know they sell a bunch of them and can give you some feedback for numerous customers that deal with the same volume of snow.

8. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Thanks basher and res201 Appreciate another opinion

9. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I have one. Some stuff on it is a little shim sham but it has put down over 400 tons this year with out a miss other than I wore all the fins off the spinner. It has worked good for me. I made some mods to the shields over the auger. Then I took the one shield completely out. It really upped the out put!