1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oshkosh snow plow truck w/action photos

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dave Preuhs, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dave Preuhs

Dave Preuhs Junior Member

I have been doing the snow plowing for our township in southern Mn. for 27 years. I have 25 miles of roads with some very hilly areas going down into the river valley. I used a 1960 FWD with hopper box, 12 ft. wing and one way and V-plow for nearly 20 of those years. Five years ago I had a chance to bid on a county owned 1972 Oshkosh P-2025 with GVW of 42,000 lbs. I has a hyd. hopper box, 12 wing and one way plow with Wausau setups. The plow runs on snow wheels, with Hustin quick hitch and hyd. tilt on the plow to put down pressure on for clearing the hills off. Engine is a Cat 1673C forerunner to the 3306, with a 5x4 tranny. Cab has 2 air ride seats, and 2 heaters and will cook you out. For a V-plow I rigged one from a Austin Western motor grader and should work great, hope I don't ever have to use it. Tires are 445 R 22.5 20 ply Michlins. It has 90,000 miles on it and runs great and should last me my plowing years.

Took some photos last week of benching off at one of my trouble areas, those Oshkosh's work great for that job. Hope you enjoy the photos.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Looks great! Where in MN are you located?
  3. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Beautiful set up, and beautiful country too.

Since you are the only guy out up there, can you tell us some of your close call stories, and maybe what you keep on board for emergencies, such as back up parts, supplies, blankets, etc. in case you get stuck or break down? The things that make you self relient when you are all alone in the middle of the night.

4. Dave Preuhs

Just east of Le Sueur, which is between Mankato and Minnepolis.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

benching are you talking about the shelf you make with wing? we useto have thes when iwas a kid. very deep snow in the 70s. we use to ride sleds on it lol
  6. Dave Preuhs

Cell phone! But besides that the usual tools, spare plow wheels, bearings, shovel, chain, a few bags of salt, one complete set of chains...........in rare occasions when I can't get up the hills because of ice, you need to chain up all the tires because of the "door Miller" set up in the differential on the P series trucks, you don't want just the front or the back spinning......not really sure of how it works, but that is what the county told me. The doormiller is a limited slip device inside the transfer case I believe, so the truck is always locked up going straight down the road, but when you turn you feel and hear a jumping noise which the limited slip device slipping so you can turn easier. My only backup crew is my wife and maybe a neighbor who might be home.

One thing that I don't do is go out during the storm, I wait till the snow or the wind quits as per orders by the town board, so when I do go out the conditions are pretty calm. And besides the farms are fairly close together and really no fear of freezing to death if something would break down.

The only bad story I have is the Halloween blizzard of '93, when we had 25 in. of snow in a 24 hr. period. The ground was not frozen yet as it started out as rain early on Oct. 31st. then later that day it turned over to wet snow, and during the night the temp feel to 0 (F) and 40 mph NW winds and more snow, this time the snow was dry and blew like crazy. For the first snow of the season it was a brute. Deep snow and drifts all over, and I had to put the V-plow on the old FWD before I left the yard. You can imagine the ground being wet and muddy underneath and then the plow face 0 degrees, it stuck on right away. Mud and gravel baked on before long, and nothing scoured off the plow, so you had to power your way through everything..........I hope to never see a storm like that again.
  7. Dave Preuhs

Yup, that is what a bench is, the flat area that is left by the wing being straight out from the truck several feet in the air. I to can remember riding those "benches" with the old sleds of the 70's. Those wings have 3 levers in the cab for running the wing. When it comes to the deep snow, the rear braces can be raised up almost the top of the cab, so you can bench off pretty high. But you will need a full load of ballast in the rear of the truck to hold you in place otherwise it will push your backend around.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

when i was a kid i plowed with a walter sno fightr. it was miller brewery so i plyed with all the plows lol.

we had a parkin lot we didnt touch all year and one day i drove the walter in there, wing down i was pushin a mtn of snow. till she pushed no more about 4' deep. i learned that you cant back those up in deep snow lol
  9. Steve'sZr2

Steve'sZr2 Member

i want your job. lol.

Can you try and get some videos up? that would be awesome.
  10. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Dear God, that truck really weighs 42000 pounds?

That's fantastic. How did OshKosh make them so heavy?
  11. Dave Preuhs

The truck weighs in around 30,000 lbs empty, the 42,000 lbs is the gross weight with a load on it. The front drive axle is a 42,000 pound axle and the rear is the same. Both the front and rear have the same stack of springs about 12 in. tall rack of springs.
  12. Dave Preuhs

Yes, it would be great to get a video, it is a little hard to round up someone to ride along to take a video. Someday it might happen.
  13. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I plowed with a watlers for almost 10 years Made it through the March bizzard of 93 I have yet to plow with another vehicle with as much power and traction!!!
  14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That is friggin' awesome! My W-900 tractor weighs only 21000 pounds. That rig would make mine pee down it's leg!:cry::D
  15. Dave Preuhs

Oshkosh plow truck video

Was out this morning, Jan. 13, 2009. -20 F and not a nice day, although it looks nice. Had the son in law along and took this video. It was so cold the hose on the diesel barrel broke like a pretzel, put fuel in with out the nozzle.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGVO7mClaEA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGVO7mClaEA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
  16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Now thats what I need for driveways:dizzy:

Nice... A well designed machine doing what it was made for.
  17. airportplower

airportplower Junior Member

thats awesome
  18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

There is something like that for sale around here. No plows, just the truck. Huge & awesome are the only two words to describe it.

You should get some 66" terra tires for it and run the monster truck circut during the summer.
  19. JohnK0CQW

JohnK0CQW Junior Member

If you need any tec support on your Oshkosh etc. Please let me know have work on them for 30 years.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  20. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

:drinkup: very nice!