1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oshkosh info needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 02powerstroke, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

My friend has a 1972 Oshkosh P2427 serial number 12331

Can you tell me what make the rear end is? model ? Burned up a wheel bearing and a scored the hell out of the axle tube.
  2. 02powerstroke

No one on here knows anything about these trucks or were to find information about them?
  3. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

did u try fleetpride and u can also try camerota they are very helpful
  4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Oshkosh rear ends.... Call Oshkosh with your serial # and they will make and sell you what you need.
    You could probably find a used axle but chances are from experience they will be as worn as the junk one you have and you'll pay dearly for it...
  5. 02powerstroke

well the bearing failed and destroyed the axle tube on the drivers side. My friends having an axle tube made locally. I will call oshkosh tomorrow to see what they say
  6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

That will be your best bet.Bearings, races etc should be able to be repaired ,matched up etc but I am 99% positive the axles are Oshkosh specific.
    I used to deal with Bruce out of the CT warehouse but that was 15 years ago...If he is still around he was great to work with.
    I know of a few different guys who purchased used axles out of limerick and where very unhappy with the condition of the used axles.
    One who is a close friend and professional truck mechanic said the replacement was in worse shape then the one being replaced. Just a heads up.Better than nothing but not much...
  7. JohnK0CQW

JohnK0CQW Junior Member

Call a truck shop in the area. they maybe able to have you contact a guy that will come out and weld on a new tube on the differential housing. This is a common problem. 1972's did not come with a Oshkosh specif rear housing. No matter and the weld on replacement will fit.