1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Oshkosh Blower Truck Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tbone, May 19, 2007.

1. tbone

tbone Member

I'm looking at buying an older Oshkosh snowblower truck for a contract and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I was wondering how far they can shoot the snow and any input on reliability and parts availability. Thanks.
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

ive never owned a oshkosh but i wouldnt mind having one. i would say that is a REAL work vehicle. they also seem to have a long standing reputation for durability.
    i imagine like any piece of equipement they do have wear parts that would need to be replaced and a certain life expectancy before serious investment in it will be required for further use. i would suggest contacting second hand commercial equipement dealers and perhaps commercial scrap yards. i would contact oshkosh too obviously however im willing to bet parts would be EXPENSIVE going directly through oshkosh and depending on what is broken having a machine shop/welder custom manufacturer it might be less expensive than go through oshkosh. oshkosh also does custom parts and has a equipment renewal plan in which they take the vehicle in and go through it from top to bottom then give it back to you in new condition. willing to be that isnt cheap either.
    if you dont mind..

send me pics and keep me updated .....

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

It is like any other .....

Oshkosh's are like any other piece of equipment if it was treated right and well maintained it should be a good rig for you,If it wasn't, Big $$$$$$ ???
    As far as parts for older Oshkosh's there are allot of used parts out there.If needed you could go threw Oshkosh and if they didn't have it on the shelf chances are they could machine it for you ($$$$$$$).
    Just an example; I wanted to change my 14x24 tube type rubber over to 20" more modern tubeless setup and threw Oshkosh it was going to run me about $10,000 to do that not including the tires.
    You should check out what it has for power(Engines) and see if the parts are available as I know some of the early diesel injector pumps etc(60's and older) are getting hard to find and very expensive to buy once found.
    If it is a Gas rig probably has 1" fuel lines so take that into consideration (Very thirsty)....
    As far as blower specs most of the blower companies in some form (Sno-GO,Sicard,SMI etc) are still around, you would need the model number etc and they could give you the rating (ie;1,000 tons per hour,1,500 tons per hour etc) And approx distance a unit in good operating condition could throw snow.
    Even with a blower in good shape you will spend a fair amount of time replacing shear pins ,shoveling out the intake to get to the shear pins etc...
    I love Oshkosh's but the hot setup now a days is a self contained loader mounted blower then you also have the loader for other work(Multi-task) .
  4. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

I knew if anyone could answer this one it would be Oshkosh himself! LOL Hippy
  5. Oshkosh / Snogo

Did you see my posting regarding the Oshkosh / Snogo military truck in the newby sction?Perhaps that is what you are looking for.
  6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Check Youtube for some action videos. i would love to have one. Tried to get the county to sub me out if I bought one for the county roads.