1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Origional Western V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procut, Feb 19, 2014.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Had a guy tell me that years ago Western had a V, I guess prior to the UniMount, so sometime late 80s early 90s; and had to quit making it due to patent infringement / lawsuit from Boss. I've never personally seen one of these and don't know if they ever really made it to production, or if this is even true and the guy is just FOS. Just kind of curious.
  2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

That is true i think it was called the tri-plow and it angled and v'ed but didnt scoop. I do beleave boss had a lawsuit that ended its very short production.
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

Why I'll be, did a little searching and found this. No date on it, but I would guess late 80s early 90s. Appears it did have a scoop mode.

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

yep, remember the first one I ever seen well. Early 90's. Guy that plowed my school got one, one year. I was like "wow!". Had only seen straight blades and state road plows. It was really neat to see how it could turn into a "V".
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

There a guy lived here that had one thinking it was in 80s when he bought it The guy died and not sure what ever happen to his plow was mounted on a 83 3/4 chevy It was first Vplow I ever seen
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have never seen one in person, but I do OWN a controller and cable set for one. Looks like a regular Western cable op controller (which is why I bought it) then I realized it said TRIPLOW on the end of it...

So I have three cable'd variants for Western blades, the regular, the TriPlow, and a T-stick... and don't use any of em! :D
  8. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

Really haven't changed much have they.
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't see many of them because they violated the Boss patent on the vee and Boss took them to court and won.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

It looks like a boss in that pic.....I wonder what the actually copy infringements were
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They were good plows, except for the double acting wing cylinders. I don't know if there was a relief valve or it just didn't work, but whichever way, the wings would not go back fast enough when hitting an obstruction and caused some serious damage.
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Vee, The vee was invented by two fisher engineers that left when Dean said no to the Vee and started Diamond (later bought by Meyer.) They (like Dean himself) weren't much for patenting things and when Niemela's developed the Boss they patented the Vee technology. Diamond by the sake of the grandfather act was allowed to continue producing Vees but for 15 years all others were prohibited.

Ice-O-Way did the same thing with their swing chute design, never patented the concept leaving the door open for Snoway.