1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ordering a 2016 Ram, couple questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by MT250, Sep 26, 2015.

1. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

Hi Gang, I think it's time to retire my '99 Ram and get a new one. I'm thinking a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. Any thoughts on the gear ratios? I think either the 3.73 or the 4.10 would be fine. I am more concerned about the highway performance. I don't want it shifting like my '99 does every time there is a hill. Any idea what the 65 mph cruising RPM is with either gear? I only plow my offices and driveway. I wish I could order the lockers in a Laramie. Does a plow even fit with the winch in front on a Power Wagon? Also, any preference on the plow brand? I want a V plow at least 8.5'. Thanks!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Wow, that's a lot of questions. I have a '13 with a diesel, but if I were to do it over again, I very well might have gone hemi. Don't think you can go wrong with it. You can get limited slip with the ZF2 package for 1,800 bucks which also comes with a lot of other stuff that made it worthwhile for me. Mine came with the 3.42 ratio and I've had no problems with it. I think the six speed helps a lot. Can't tell you about the winch clearance problems on a power wagon, but there have been a few threads on here about that, so if you do a search you should be able to find it. Any V-plow will work for you, they all have good quality nowadays. Buy from whichever dealers you have near you and have the best customer service.

3. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I'm happy with my 2015 3500 6.4L Reg Cab 4x4 3.73 rear. Not able to answer any of your other questions though.

Fuel Consumption
    7x16 enclosed trailer 9-9.5 mpg
    6.5x12 dump trailer 10.5-11 mpg
    non-loaded highway 16.5-18.6mpg (averaging 70mph)

Michael

4. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

I have 3.73 with the 5.7 Hemi I wish i had 4.10s for the very same reasons you stated every little hill there is a down shift and the 15 and 16 trucks run a bigger tire yet so it would be even worse.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

6. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Yes, if you don't get a Chrysler employee discount it is definitely worth it to join SIMA. I joined thinking I could get both, not the case.

Michael

7. MT250

MT250 Junior Member
    from North

I do have the employee discount, although I don't know how to find the invoice price without going to the dealer. Is there a way to research that?

It seems to me that there are sometimes better prices than the employee advantage pricing. It sounds like some of you guys have used the employee discount before. Care to share your savings? Thanks

8. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have 3:73 I run 75-80 mph at about 1800 rpms. I live in Iowa so not many hills but very few shifting issues in tow haul. Towing heavy get 10 towing light get 13-14'running empty get 15-17. It is the 6.4 hemi quad cab with the air ride.
    Love this truck

9. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I love my 2015 I have the 6.4 with 410s . I am getting around 18 on the highway and around 13 in city with a light foot

10. onlythebest

onlythebest Junior Member

Just ordered myself a 3500 crew dually Laramie limited diesel...
    In Ontario I believe I have the highest discount available (landscape Ontario/ CNLA) which works out to 14500 off dealer invoice then they add back 500 for the dealership

11. JustJeff

That would be 14,500 off of MSRP, not invoice. You're paying 500.00 over invoice. Which isn't accurate either, because the dealership also gets holdback and advertising costs. But you're getting a good price regardless.

12. trevier

trevier Senior Member

hope this helps,
    3.73 limited slip rear ratio.
    No plow on a power wagon due to front disconnect

13. onlythebest

No sir it is off dealer invoice my dad has been in the car industry for 40 years and I know how to read a bill of sale.

14. JustJeff

Invoice is what a dealer pays the manufacturer for the vehicle. You paid 500.00 over invoice minus your (landscape Ontario/ CNLA) discounts. Correct? I believe I misunderstood your initial statement. So, your 14,500 in discounts are all from (landscape Ontario/ CNLA)?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  15. onlythebest

Quite ignorant to assume you know better I will find a picture of my build sheet from the really to have it broken down for you.

16. onlythebest

If you want to see the bill of sale to prove what I paid for it let me know.

image.jpg

17. JustJeff

Nice mouth. Did you read my above comment? Your numbers show, you paid 500.00 over invoice minus your (landscape Ontario/ CNLA) discounts.

18. awhip

awhip Member

I got a '14 6.4 2500 with 3.73. 25000 miles so far. Power is great, fuel economy good. Shifts on the highway but it's a six speed so it's going to with the hills we have, it shifts less at 80 when rpms are 2k
    Hasn't been prefect, rear window leaks, makes a banging noise think it's front trailing arms, dealer won't fix it attributes it to being heavy duty truck and I think I've felt the tranny slip a few times. Other than that its the best truck I've owned!

19. onlythebest

You clearly went and edit that after the fact but ok. Yes 14000 off invoice

20. JustJeff

Yes I did, because as I stated, I misunderstood.