1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ordered truck, picking out a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redrocket, Nov 25, 2003.

1. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

I just ordered a F-250 crew cab v-10 shortbox w/plow prep and am pricing out plows. My route is only residential drives and I am leaning towards an 8'6" boss straight blade- $3100 or a hiniker 9' straight steel- no price yet but the 9' poly was 4200 guessing a steel will be around 3800. Meyer and sno-way were at least $400 more. Any negatives to a boss because that plow is by far the cheapest. Also I am wondering why most guys are only using an 8' when a 9 or 8'6 is not much more $ and weight? I hate driving on unplowed snow in a turnaround. Rookie at using new equipment- familiar with old

2. BIGREDDODGE

BIGREDDODGE Junior Member

BOSS is the way to go in my opinion, 9' is a pretty big plow when a big storm hits, if you want a 9', step up to a 9'2" boss vee plow, then you get the best of all

3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We have 3 F-250 long beds and all have 8.5' Fishers. Very happy with everything, cost, ease of use, ease of hookup/removal. No problems at all. We financed them with the new truck thru the dealer when we ordered the truck, he took care of bringing the truck to the plow installer, all the paperwork. We just picked up the new truck with the plow of our choice installed.

4. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Around my way the Boss is V's are about $600 more than the Fisher V

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like western meyers and fishers do you need a v how big are you accounts there are more things that can go wrong with a v curtis is a nice plow also :cool:

6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

you cant go wrong with the bigger plow on the f-250. you should also look into the blizzard 810 power plow. they go from 8ft to 10ft and form into wings.:)

7. M.C.A.

M.C.A. Member
    from WI

Boss is a great plow. Fast and easy to take on and off,very fast hydraulics, great lights and strong plow design, you can't go wrong with the boss plow. As far as size if you are doing residential with narrow driveways I would say a 8ft super duty. Also look at the Boss web page for recommended plows for your truck. Was the Boss price for a standard or super duty. Definitely go with the super duty. I sell and install Boss plows, the price should be around 3500.00 installed without tax for a super duty 8ft straight steel with handheld.

8. psdiesel24

psdiesel24 Member

Hello there new member here. We run all boss plows on our equipment and have been really happy with them. I would suggest going with either a 8'6 foot straight blade or 8'2 or the 9'2 v-blade they cost more but they cut time in half.

9. plowman6977

plowman6977 Junior Member
    from 17042

plow

if you mainly do residential drives why not look into the 9 foot hiniker c-plow this way you can take and pull into the driveway up to the garage door and flip the plow and back drag the hiniker is the only plow that i know of with this capability. the plow comes only in poly for the 9 ft. the 8 foot comes in both poly or steel.

10. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

Blizzard 810 would work Great on that Truck.

$4300.00 Cash & Carry

314-614-2100

11. plowman6977

from 17042

plow

if you mainly do residential drives why not look into the 9 foot hiniker c-plow this way you can take and pull into the driveway up to the garage door and flip the plow and back drag the hiniker is the only plow that i know of with this capability. the plow comes only in poly for the 9 ft. the 8 foot comes in both poly or steel.I would have to check on the prices. but we have installed and cash and carry prices.

12. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys- Most of my drives are go in work the truck around in front of the garage and then out and clean up the end. I don't know if a v would speed things up much in my situation, but a c-plow did interest me until I saw the price. I also thought the c was too much engineering for simple down-pressure like sno-way? I guess i need to see it on a truck. I also don't know who carries fisher and blizzard in my neck of the woods but i haven't looked. By the way my prices were for uninstalled plows. I need to hustle or I be using the ol rocket for most of the season. troy

13. plowman6977

from 17042

c-plow

hey redrocket, the hiniker c-plow costs about the same as the one you said about . cash and carry on an eight foot at our shop is 4200.00. installed is 4500.00

14. snowplowman

snowplowman Junior Member
    from NH

snowplow hunting

The boss plows are in no way even comparitive to the fisher, the boss has to many, i guess i should light duty , medium duty and heavy duty, so don't go by price. Compare apples to apples.

15. plowman6977

from 17042

plows

i'm comparing prices with the hiniker not boss. hiniker is more commercial in nature but they also have sone light duty plows also.

16. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

I'm planning on going to a dealer in chicago to buy a plow. He's at least a grand cheaper on every plow i looked at except he doesn't carry boss. Right now I like the 8'6" stainless sno-way 32 series for 3425 cash & carry, hiniker 9' hd commercial steel 2890. and the hiniker 9' hdx commercial poly c- plow for 3695 but this pig weighs 917# . I've seen the sno-way and it's tall but ther's not much feedback on larger sno-ways that i can find, just the smaller lightweight ones. My dad has the 9' staight steel hiniker and likes it but down pressure(sno-way) and c-plow's ability to backdrag seem like the way to go for residential use.