1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ordered aftermarket winch controller...

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by hero419, Sep 22, 2011.

1. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

2. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Let us know how it works.

3. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

Will do....
    Will be a while though.
    Gotta get the truck in for service and I don't want them to void the warrenty when the see the mount on the truck...

4. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

5. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

6. sswt

sswt Junior Member

i had some issues with my switch, as long as you have your black box under the hood youre good to go, its just a momentary on/off//on switch, you could even use two momentary on/off switches and put your middle as a common

7. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

i ordered the same wincvh

how hard was the bolt up?? i ordered the same winch for a backup
    any ideas and help i appreciate it...
    bolt up stuff,wiring old or new stuff etc

8. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

the plate where the two upper arms come together on the plow had to be trimmed.
    the bolt holes are closer together on the badland winch I used a power hack saw.

the wiring was per the directions. I used the quick disconnect from the snowbear winch.
    I am still waiting for the promark wireless controller to get back in stock.
    currently I am running the wire under my hood and through the door.
    It is a new truck and I want to be able to remove everything plow related without evidence.
    If I ever have a non plow related warranty issue, I don't want them to have an excuse.

the badland winch is on sale now for 50 bucks. I found an ad in the Maixum magazine.
    it worked fine for the 10" we just got.

9. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

thanks any pics

could you post some pics? ok so widening the holes i figured..u have to use washers? etc
    you said quick diconnects...did the wire remote reach to the truck? any more info on wiring or pics id appreciate
    sorry to be a pain just trying to be prepared
    ive had my plow 3 years and someone owned it a year before it...ive never had an issue besides putting a new strap on and i plow 6 driveways a year in CT
    this things great..people say its junk but let me tell you...take care of it,tighten reguarly and its better than a 5000 dolla plow..no hrdraulics breaking etc

10. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

probably won't have time for pictures.
    No washers.
    the battery is on the passenger side, it would be better if I lengthened the wires, but I plan on getting a remote and did not want to get into it.
    The only modification I did was to the plate that had to be shortened on the plow.

there is a plate were thes two arems come together....
    [​IMG]

11. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

remote is still out of stock :confused:

12. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

i have an older style harbor freight winch that i bought for a backup
    i took the cable out and use a chain it,s not as fast as the superwinch but its not too bad

13. ranger88den

14. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

I have a 2011 F150 now.
    Not sure where to run it through the fire wall, but would love to do it.

15. ranger88den

Do you have an evaporator drain line that penetrates the firewall? If so, and it's removable, take it off for the winter and pull your control wiring thru the hole. If you can do this, remember to protect the wires with a grommet (sp?). Good luck

16. Aaronstottle

Aaronstottle Junior Member

I got a used Snowbear 82", and slapped a HF badland winch on it. Winch was $79.00.
    It works awesome. I used a "U bolt" through the winch cable thimble to attach to the plow.
    I took the old winch apart, and used the base of that winch to make a baseplate for the new winch. I used a sawzall to cut the winch base plate, and drilled 2 new holes in it for the badland. Original winch holes lined up with the mounting bolts, new winch attached with
    1/4-20 x 3/4" bolts, grade 8.

Works flawless. I am also constructing a light kit from a pair of Harbor Freight driving lights, and a pair of universal turn signals off of ebay. Got the light kit all together, but it shakes a bit, so I have to put a piece of conduit with a 1/4 threaded rod through the center to stiffen it up.
    If anybody's interested, I'll snap a picture.

I picked up the Snowbear for $400 used. It's got a bend in each side, but it is quite usable.
    I tried to get the bend out with a shop press - put 20 tons to it, and it wouldn't budge.
    I guess it's gonna stay bent. Can't imagine what PO hit to bend it like that !

17. skidoo

skidoo Member

I have 08 ford ranger I run the wires under the fuse box under the hood (had to unbolt and lift up out the way) right under the fuse box on the firewall is the clutch cable gromet which is quite large. Cut a small hole in gromet run wire in the cab through there. Probably wouldn't work for an automatic though.