1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

orange black wire - lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shep28, Dec 12, 2011.

1. shep28

shep28 Member

I replaced the fenders on my ram. To replace the fenders I had to take everything off them- hellish job!! Anyhow, I got everything hooked back up but a lone orange and black wire. I forgot where it went, so I spliced it to the orange and black wire that is attached to the base of the solenoid(top of which have two bolts that attached wires to the neg side of the battery). Should I not have spliced the orange black wire to the solenoid orange black wire. When I remove this wire from the solenoid the plow will not lift. If it should not be attached there, then where should it go? My truck lights do not switch off when the plow light connector is attached to the truck- so I have both pairs of lights on and the plow lights don't turn off when the truck is turned off.

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I think one of the orange/black wires goes directly to the postive terminal on your battery. The other goes on your solenoid, which sounds like you already have. I will check mine tomorrow at the garage and let you know.

Also, you can get the wiring diagrams on Western's website under the parts/service tab.

3. shep28

shep28 Member

I printed the schematics off the western site. Still scratching my head. Check on that wire for me. I will take some pics tomorrow of the wiring and upload them here.

Also, so you have your plow harness light connectors connected to the truck headlights and your blue factory headlight connectors connected to the black or grey(can't remember color) plow harness connector? correct?

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Orange/black is a ground

As for the lights, ground it and they should work. If not, make sure the parking light wire is connected on the truck side. This wire triggers the relays