1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Options for taking the sag out of the front end?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMCHD plower, Dec 26, 2009.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the options for taking the sag out of the front end of an 09 GMC 2500HD ext cab are? other then cranking the t-bars.
  2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I used good ol Timbrens on my 97 Chevy K3500. Lots of money for what you get..BUT,... they work great!
  3. GMCHD plower

Ok thanks.
  4. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Try some Firestone Level-Rite air over shocks, they are awesome!
  5. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

why don't you want to crank the t-bars up? How much height are you looking to get?
  6. GMCHD plower

I'm not really looking to get height. Just once my parents get a plow put on I want to keep the truck from sagging alot.
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

what kinda blade are they putting on.
  8. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I would just crank the bars a couple of turns. It will get the truck back up to height and if you only crank it a little it won't affect the ride quality.
  9. GMCHD plower

Most likely a Fisher 8' straight blade with a snow deflector and cutting edge.
  10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I cranked the t-bars AND added the timbrens.... You can get the "buyers" brand for almost half the cost... My truck barely moved with a 9' X-blade and the Duramax weighing it down.
  11. GMCHD plower

Ok thanks, I want to stay away from doing anything to the t-bars (ive heard bad things ball joints ect) And my parents want to keep it for awhile cause once I get my license(2yrs) it will be mine. So I dont want to have to replace alot of ****.
  12. jetfxr68

jetfxr68 Junior Member

I have the same question as you. We recently purchased a new 09 3500 with a Boss poly V plow and this truck does not carry the boss plow well at all. The actual plow frame bottoms out when I go in and out of parking lots(dips) from the street. We have never had issues with our F350 trucks(same plow) so I asked the Chevy dealer about it. He said the truck torsion bars are turned up a much as we can go and I just have to learn to live with the bottoming out.
    Any ideas?
  13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Chev's sit way lower to begin with... if your T bars are turned up 6 turns or so pretty much living with it is your best option... I got a 3500 Dmax with a Boss 9.2 VXT and have never bottomed out the plow harness yet....
  14. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Slow down.I have a steel 9-2 with the Dmax on my 06 3500 and haven't bottomed out yet with 4 turns on my T bars.
  15. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

any of you guys try changing out the keys to the bars. I just ordered new keys to level the front end of my 08, 2500HD crew have been looking at them for a while. think this will be the best option to keep the factory ride.
  16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

But some weight in the back .....500#
  17. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Lol, your going to put a cutting edge on too?!
    Since your buying a new blade dont bother with the edge for a season. The factory edge should wear out first cause if you put a cutting edge on a new blade they are going to make contact at the exact same level.
  18. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

I don't understand the whole "key" thing.
    Instead of a bolt turning the torsion bar a "key" does. It dosen't do a damn thing to the actual torsion bar or ride quality. Unless your bolts are cranked all the way & in that case your have other issues to worry about.

Use the PROPER Ballast. Crank the T-bar bolts, install a set of Timbrens, get an alignment & your good to go.
    Next step would be a lift kit.

2500hd w/ wideout. 1" sag w/ plow on. Still rides better than the other big two. NO bottoming out.

jetfxr68, Because you asked a dealer, thats why. He prob. ment "thats as much factory specs say you can go w/o needing an alignment."
    No reason it should be bottoming out. You using the PROPER amount of ballast?
  19. yamahartx

yamahartx Junior Member
    from Iowa

Locall dealer said they go 4 turns without alignment and it will carry most plows. Get into larger plows then more turns and alignment.

I turned mine 3 just the other day. I put on new 285's which I always run and thought I would try turning them up since a plow is in my near future. No rubbing anymore. Plow is in the garage, never mounted...waiting wire harness.

Turning the torsion is a breeze, anyone can do it with. Just make sure you turn them equally.

Also, the dealer said the key lift made his truck ride rough and removed them right away. Buddy has 2" key lift on his '05 duramax as well and said it's rough, but he also went with low profile tires at the same time. (trucks for sitting in the garage washed, will never see work, snow definately never a trailer in its life just wax and shine..unlike mine..haha!)

By the way 3 turns made the ride better IMO. Leveled it out also.

I do plan on going 4 turns and adding a rear lift to get back to stock stance. (just like the look) Also, I will have the local shop check the alignment because I put miles on. I will definately post the outcome.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  20. WNYSeasonalSvs.

WNYSeasonalSvs. Junior Member
    from WNY

Yep 4 turns is about all you can do w/o an alignment.

Duh, your dealer is a moron. Replacing the keys do the EXACT same thing as cranking the bolts. It puts more torsion on the torsion bars. The ONLY reason to replace a
    "key" is if your bolts are turned in all the way & you want more.
    A torsion bar is basically a spring in a bar form. More force on the spring, larger spring, stiffer = rougher ride. Dosen't make ANY difference weather the resistance is applied by turning the bolt or replacing the key.
    Bigger key = less turns of the bolt to acquire the same torsion.
    Smaller key = more turns of the bolt.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?