1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

options for seized hose in ram

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Megunticook, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I've got an old Fisher Speedcast belt drive system on my '73 W100.

I went to remove the hoses from the angle rams in order to drain out last year's hydraulic fluid (I already drained and flushed the pump, valve, hoses). Both hoses were well-seized to the fittings that thread into the rams. I put a 9/16" wrench on them but only managed to start rounding the corners on the hose end (can't get a flare nut wrench on there unfortunately).

Any tricks to getting them off? I applied Kroil to the threads for a few days, then tried again and no luck. Pair of vice grips wouldn't budge it either.

I think my options are to remove the rams, try to put what's left of the hexagonal part of the hose end in a bench vice, and break them loose by turning the cylinder itself (should be able to get good leverage that way). Or else cut the hoses off, remove the fittings, and replace both hoses and fittings.

Any other ideas?

I think I put a little antiseize on those threads when first installed but that was 2 years ago. I did not plow last year and stupidly did not remove the hoses and drain the fluid, so the last time that happened was in spring 2009. Good lesson there.

Still, I'm surprised they seized so much in that time.

Part of it may be that I placed some "heater hose" over the hydraulic hose to act as a protective jacket against chafing. During the off-season, one of them worked its way down to the fitting on the ram and allowed water to collect, totally rusting the metal at the end of the hose and the fitting.

[​IMG]

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if me 2 options.

extend ram all the way out. so the heat wont hurt the seals on the pistion. then heat up the end near the hose were it threads to the ram. then dump cold water on it to shock it . then try and remove.

or spin off the quick coupler from hose and drain out the hose and go from there.

3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

remove it at the pump? or take the ram off and take the 90 off the ram, clamp hose in vise remove the 90 from the hose and replace with a new hose. I rather fight with something now than in the middle of the night during a storm.

4. Megunticook

from Maine

That's why I'm questioning my initial thought to just leave it on there until spring. I always carry a set of extra hoses, and once or twice I've had to change them mid-season (never during a storm in the middle of the night, but you never know...).

Just don't want to spend 2-3 hours fighting the thing. Probably the overall quickest will be to take half an hour and remove the rams, clamp the stripped hex in the bench vice, and break it loose.

Shame, those hoses are only about 3 years old and in excellent shape. Wonder why they seized so bad?

5. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I had the same thing happen to me last storm I replaced my rams on our break took me less than an hour to do both rams and pull the fluid res down change the filter and refill. The only time I have not done a fluid change before the first storm and the filter clogged half way threw the night....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  6. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

I blew one of the ram hoses the other day and decided to replace both with 5000psi hoses
    I pulled the ram pins at the aframe so i could get a better angle on the fittings.
    I locked the ram in place with a drift so it would not spin and was able to get the hoses off with no issues.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

put some heat to it then hit it with some P B BLASTER. you will probably have to replace the hose but at least it will be apart.

8. Megunticook

from Maine

Took care of it today. Took well over an hour. .Ended up removing cylinders to the bench, and finally had to cut the hoses off above the rounded hexes, tap a 6-point socket on, and break it loose that way.

So I was tempted to use antiseize on the new ones...but decided not to and will just take apart in spring and clean everything good. Used to antiseize but Fisher now recommends assembling NPT fittings dry.

Hated to retire a couple hoses prematurely, but better than needing to replace one in a storm and having to go through this hassle in that situation. This way I can change out the hose in no time.

You guys like to put something on the threads or leave them dry?

Was surprised to see the hose threads seize in a brass fitting. Thought brass didn't corrode like that--guess I was wrong.