1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Options for adding central hydraulics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by simply_peter, Aug 5, 2009.

1. simply_peter

simply_peter Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am looking to add a hydraulic tailgate spreader to my F450.

I think I have 3 options, but don't have a good idea on what each will cost.

1. Add a PTO on the auto transmission that runs a pump.

2. Add a clutch pump on the motor.

3. Add a smaller gas engine to drive a pump.

Has anyone done any of these options or have an idea on costs or advice?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i think you need to see what the requirements of the spreader are and see what the truck will operate with . operational speed of available pto for the trans and then go to see if there is a pto available that will drive it .space on the truck to mount pump pto shafting hydraulic tank ,if not proceed with clutch pump .i think the pto drive is more reliable and less maintenance ,as far as burning up clutch pumps . just my opinion .:)
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

why not just go with electric?.....I have looked into this on my 1 ton dump w/ elec. hoist, and found it was about $3000 cheaper to go with an electric replacement tailgate spreader as opposed to having central hydros ran & getting a hyd. driven spreader. Of course, if the truck was setup with hyd. when I bought it, then the choice would be obvious.
  4. simply_peter

from Iowa

I got a good price on the spreader so I am hoping to make it work.

I have considered just replacing the hydraulic motors with electric and then I wouldn't have to run the hydraulics.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

For around 4K (depending in the dealer) plus install (should be relatively in-expensive we charge $200 for most applications) you can buy a new Electric under tailgate unit.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i just bought a dump with central hydro's and an under tailgate spreader hoefully it works better than my old gas vbox.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You will never go back to gas again.

I have a clutch pump on a 1999 that was installed in 2000. It has never not worked. The clutch pump is a little loud to listen to but knowing it is going to work when you turn it on is priceless.
    I have 3 hydraulic V box salters.
  8. simply_peter

from Iowa

I was quoted $1559 for the transmission PTO with a 8 GPM pump and mounting kit. I would need to put together the tank and hoses.

I wasn't sure what size pump I needed, is 8 GPM going to be large enough?

What GPM and PSI are you guys running that use central hydraulics?

I haven't picked up the spreader yet so I don't have the specifics for PSI and GPM on it yet.

9. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Live hydraulics are hard to beat, PTO's work ok if you are sitting still, or at least not trying to shift the transmission. For only one application, it's hard to justify the cost and trouble of truck installed equipment. If you can find some additional uses/needs, go for it. If not, consider electric. IMHO, an engine driving a pump is a half-way solution.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Central hydraulics or clutch pump is awesome, you'll love it, although it is spendy.

Good investment IMHDAO.

I think we can assume grammar is not your strong point, but I haven't got a clue what you are saying.

Good luck, sorry I don't get into the PSI much, just know that the more flow the better while operating a spreader. Rule of thumb is the reservoir is the same size as GPM of the pump. Basher is mulch more knowledgeable than me in that area.