1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Options for a 5.5' bed?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by turbo38sfi, Aug 24, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I've got an 06 Chevy Crew w/a short box. I'd like to get into sanding this season. I'd like to get something I can spread a sand/salt mix with. What are my options with such a small bed? Is there a smaller V I can look at or am I stuck with a tailgate or hitch mount setup?
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Snoway and Ice O Way as well as others make 6ft v-boxes. by the time you add the length of your bumper you will find they fit very well in the bed. You just have to watch the weight.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I'm assuming you have a 2500HD or a 3500?
  4. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I would guess that might only be a 1500. If so, is only going to have about 1500 to 1700 lb payload. May be best to stick with a ProFlo2 or SpeedCaster2 tailgate unit for that sand/salt mix and not plan to fill it all the way either.

ROSELAWN Member

There are some companies that make 5' V-Boxes.
  6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

How about a Western Pro Flo2 or the Fisher make. It is a tailgat spreader. The good thing about this, is you can spread salt/sand. It doesnt weigh that much either.
  7. dbowden18

dbowden18 Junior Member
    from maine

i got a poly caster by fisher. 6.5 bed, holds 1.25 yards not rounded. will never rust out. i think there about $3300.00 installed today.
  8. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Sorry all in the late response. The mail notification wasn't working.

Anyways, I have a 1500 with the z71 suspension. It hold 1500lb no problem w/out any squatting. That' the most I've had in it to this point.

I'm going to quote a sand/plow job tomorrow and there' s a good chance I will get it if I want it. My buddy is the building manager. If I do, it would be a yearly contract for about 8k and that is going to be my money to buy a sander setup.

So a few requirements would be that it can spread sand/salt mix. Not just a salter.
    Remote start would be nice though not 100% a requirement.
    Anyone using an electric? How have your results been?
  9. RipT

RipT Senior Member

That is why I mentioned to watch your weight.....1500 to 1750 lbs is about all you are going to want in the back of that 1500....that is spreader box and contents.

Damp salt/sand mix may well be 150 lbs/cubic ft, so a 1/2 yard (13.5 cu ft) will be 2000 lbs by itself.

The ProFlo2 and SpeedCaster2 (around $2K new) hold about 9 ft full which would be 1350 lbs plus 200 or so for the unit.... pretty much maxxes a 1500 out. If you needed to carry some extra in the bed, I would consider airbag overloads ($3-400) so you would not ruin your ride the rest of the year.

Good Luck
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway and Ice-0-Way both make a short bed unit. Snow-Ex and buyers also offer short bed units in poly/electric. The draw back to most electric units is they work best with at most a 50/50 mix. It's not that they don't work with higher sand concentrations, but they are slow or draw excessive energy, or both. For high sand concentrations gas drive, conveyor type units seem to work best.

Sand weighs a lot. Wet sand weighs even more, with a 1/2 ton truck carrying a sander the addition of rear suspension assists is critical, With-out it you'll have no load capacity.

Be prepared to replace your rear wheel seals on a more frequent basis. :waving:
  11. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

The Polycast looks like a nice unit and is a conveyor system. I would expect to do a sand/salt mix with a higher proportion of sand than salt in the mix.

I was also looking into the Firestone bags or the Helwig helper springs to help out the rear suspension.

Does anyone have any opions on the Snowway vs Fisher vs Snowex? They all seem to make a lighter duty comparable V system?
  12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

OK First if you really want a V box. Go buy a bigger truck. A 1/2 ton just isn't going to cut it. Also the fisher ploy caster/western tornado has major problems. They have trouble with spreading straight sand. As wet sand is far to heavy for the belt. Do a search on here about them.

The western/fisher Pro Flow 2 is going to really be you best choice. They are a very reliable unit. Tried and true. I personally put one on a Dodge 1500. According to the owner, its about the biggest spreader you really want to put on a 1/2 ton. They will spread dry sand with out a problem. Or wet sand if its a 50/50 mix with salt. Everyone I know who has them. Swear by them. Only complain ever is the idler pulley rusts up. But thats from a lack of not washing the unit off enough. But its a $11 part. So no big deal.
  13. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've never sanded before so I have no idea how much you can do with a tailgate setup like you're talking about. I've got a potential customer which if I do get it will be great money for the year then I'd buy the unit. It's a small doctors park, about a 75 car sized lot. Is that too much of an area for a tailgate setup? They go about
    3/4 to a yard at the most ....
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If that is the only place you have then I would get a tailgate salter for sure. You will most likely be spreading less then 1,000lbs. of material. If you want to spread sand then you will need a Pro Flow 2 or similar.
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why sand?

Most medical centers don't want to deal with having the sand tracked in.

Do you have a place to store a supply of pre-mix?

what will you do with the left overs at the end of the year?

Do you have a method to load the material?

Sand implies you have let ice develop, the only reason to apply sand is traction.

With proper application you should not ever have to deal with freeze up.

I deal with zero tolerance customers, they view the need for sand as a failure on my part.

As small as the lot is you should be able to cover it completely with a thin layer of salt using a single stage tailgate unit.
  16. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I'll find out more info tomorrow when I go to talk to the guy for sure as to what exactly he wants/needs. Good point about tracking in the sand, I just assumed it would be a mix as you don't see too much pure salt up in these parts.

I do have a place local to me to get the mix I know for sure. I'd have to do some checking on a pure salt mix but I'm sure there must be some as well.

This would be my only account right now, I do all residential and some plowing for the town. I've been asked in the past if I salt/sand which I didn't. If I land this account I'd like to buy something that I won't outgrow in a year's time because now I'd actually go after those sanding jobs and don't want to have something too small. I don't mind buying something bigger now with the intentions of growing my customer base.
  17. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Put a 6ft snoway electric v box in it with a set of bags or timbrens. Lets you put a yard in heaped. Remember you are not going to be driving around the whole storm with it. You will load and spread and as you spread the load gets lighter. Really you are only driving aorund with the full weight for a very short time.

I run one in my Toyota so you will be fine. When you get more accounts then get a bigger truck. I have a 550 that does most salting and sanding. The v-box in the Toyota is mainly for ballast and traction in some very tricky drives and as a backup. Still it handles the v-box fine.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  18. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I went to look at the job today. It's bigger than I thought. It's 160 parking spots. So a yrd minimum. I'm leaning towards the 6ev ss right now.

I did check with the guy and a sand/salt mix is what he is requesting. I'm now going to be asking in the other forum on some help with a proposal as I've never done one this large before. I know it's small for some of you guys but we all start somewhere ;)
  19. Groundwork

Groundwork Member
    from Vermont

Sent you a PM about a salter I have for sale that might fit your needs.
  20. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

You got mail.:)