1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Optimum Pusher speed?

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Aerospace Eng, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

Not sure if this is the right forum, but since only airports or very large lots will have 800' pushes with no obstacles, I decided to post it here.

I built a rig to put a box plow (16' Super Duty Protech with a rubber edge) on the front of my articulated truck, as shown in the picture. It is used to push snow between hangar rows (800' pushes) and off of ramps at the airport (varied but averaging 600'), where windrowing to the side as is done on the runway or taxiway is not feasible due to the buildings on both sides or the ramp width (200').

It does a good job, but I currently mosey along at about 6-7 mph and get 5 acres per hour done. The truck can do 30 mph in high gear, but that seems a bit extreme even when not within a few feet of buildings. Is there an optimum speed for pushing with a rubber edge pusher, or is it just a question of power/traction/avoiding obstacles?

Thanks

Moxy with Snopusher.jpg

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you answered your own question.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

With 3 10ft arctic sectional snow plows, u can do 18 mph

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I have nothing to contribute regarding your question. But as Mark so eloquently put it, HOLY CRAP. Nice fab job. I would like to see more pics, maybe of the under structure and lift mechanism. Pretty cool.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That thing does look very cool.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

ditto

Just go a bit faster next time...see how it feels/acts as you increase speed. Doubt I'd want to go much more than 15-20, but I really have no idea...never drove a rig like that before.

7. Aerospace Eng

I'll get some of the underside, but here are a few of the connection to the box. Protech supplied the H-beam with a pin-type restraint, and I had some angle plasma cut to make the attachment brackets for the beam.

I used Cat 3 hitch repair ends ($25 each), and then machined some solid inserts to go into hollow tubes.

There are 4 square tubes (2x6x1/4 wall) tubes, 2 connected to each frame rail on the truck using some bracketry I built. The inner ones meet in the middle of the beam, and the outer ones go out at a higher angle to take sideloads and add some push.

I made a plate to bolt to the front of the truck. It holds the hydraulic cylinders that do the lifting on the outer beams, and some mounts to control the tilt of the plow when it is lifted. It has a weird shape so that I can get some lift height and still open the hood.

I currently lift the plow using a re-routed hydraulic feed for the lift cylinders of the bed to operate the plow. I have a loader valve installed on the truck and tilt cylinders to replace the chains, but I need to take off the left fender of the truck to break into the system (open center) in the right place to make the valve operational. That's a project for the spring or fall.

Moxy Mount.jpg

Moxy mount 2nd.jpg

8. jpell

jpell Senior Member

That is one heck of a fab job. Thumbs Up

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Nice rig...great introduction!

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you load the bed for traction?

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

And I thought my Volvo with a 15' box was big.

12. Aerospace Eng

I was worried about traction the first time I used it, since the forecast was for freezing rain then snow and more rain on top of the snow. I dumped 10 tons of sand in the back as a precaution, since 35 yards of wet snow is heavy and I couldn't find any snow on snow friction data to calculate tractive effort required

I didn't have any problems, so I'm not sure it was necessary. I'll play with it next season, since the less weight I have to carry, the less risk to the pavement, even though the tires are 60 psi and have a large contact area.

Empty, I have about 8 tons on the front axle, and 8 shared between the rear tires. Fully loaded (45 tons total), the weight is almost perfectly distributed among the tires.

It has a heated bed, so I may put a sand spreader on the back. Thinking about the Avalanche Dump Box spreader since it could just sit in the bottom of the bed, which is v-shaped.

13. Aerospace Eng

Is the truck able to turn with the box? One of the reasons I put it on my Moxy was that Protech indicated that they had had poor experience with big plows on conventionally steered trucks, since once the box loaded up steering was poor. They were happy when I told them mine was articulated.

14. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't had any trouble turning and never gave it any thought until now. The backhoe gives me a little trouble sometimes with a full box.

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

So how high can you stack ? ;)

Well done

16. Put a live edge on that and fly

17. Aerospace Eng

It is limited on stacking. I can only lift the skids about 14" off the ground, but it doesn't matter for two reasons.....

One, at an airport, wingtip clearance is usually an issue. Even without lifting, the tops are 4-5 feet high, and need to get knocked down well past the pavement.

Two, if I really need to stack, I can use the same machine I use for knocking the tops off of piles and getting into tight places, a 1995 VR90b with a 12' box.

VR90-1.jpg

kah68 likes this.
  18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Holy fcuk!

SnoFarmer likes this.
  19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I must say WOW!!!!!!!!!.......Very Nice.......:salute:

20. Aerospace Eng

I'll post pictures of the build, but will probably do it in the heavy equipment forum, since this thread is digressing from the question originally posed and what this forum is about.