1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Optima Red & Yellow Battery Warranty

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Nov 4, 2008.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I've read the endless threads about batteries, and more specifically the Optima batteries. I've decided that both the Red and Yellow top have their places. Like i think the Yellow Top would be good for a truck with an electric sander. So i figure why spend the extra $20 on a Yellow Top if i have a good alternator and only a plow on the truck?

Anyways i just looked and saw that while the Red Top has a good 3 yr free replacement/7 year prorated warranty, the Yellow Top has an absolutely terrible 1 yr free replacement/2 year prorated warranty.

Why would such an expensive battery have such an awful warranty? 1 year!!! I read a bazzillion threads on red vs yellow top and non that i saw mentioned this warranty difference. 1 year!!!!

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've got a yellow top going on it's 8th year with no signs of problems.

Warranty issue I believe is related to the yellow being a starting/deep cycle battery instead of just a starting battery.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i just put 2 yellow tops into my truck. no problems so far but only had them 3 days.
    got them for the cca and the reserve capacity to run all those lights with the truck off

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

whatt cca did you get

5. ColliganLands

i believe its 940 or something around there. waiting for a cooler morning to give it the test but so far 1000 times better starts on 2nd or 3rd crank and the heat comes right up. ill go look them up and get the exact cca

6. ColliganLands

i got the d34-78 which has 840 cca @ 32degrees.
    all in all pretty good about 100cca more than the motorcraft batteries that were in there. and it deep cycles so i can run my lights for a quite a while

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That would be the Cranking Amps, not the COLD Cranking Amps (0 degrees).

IIRC the CCA is 750 for the group 78 yellows.

Either way they're a decent battery and a good improvment over the stockers. :waving:

8. ColliganLands

youre absolutely right b&b. looked at the wrong number lol. just woke up and getting ready to go get some leaves

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Been there Colligan. :sleeping: :D

10. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I've had the yellow top in my truck since '04, no problems at all yet. I dont remember the CCA off the top of my head

11. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea. I was pretty much deciding between the group 78 yellow and red.

Red 78: Cold Crank Amps 800; Crank Amps 1000; Reserve Capacity 110; Ampere Hour 50; Dual Terminal

Yellow 78: Deep Cycle Battery; Cold Crank Amps 750; Crank Amps 870; Res. Capacity 120; Ampere Hour 55; Top Terminal;

I'm going to get the red top. I think it will be better than the yellow.

The RedTop features the lowest internal resistance of any battery on the market, which is the key to their unparalleled high power delivery, increased cycle life and fast recharge capability.

Someone mentioned somewhere that plowing is many periods of extreme power draw - like starting, and i think i agree, the only time my lights ever dim is when i'm operating the plow.. Not to mention a 7 yr wrranty makes it a little easier to swallow a $200 battery.