1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Optima Batteries

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jayson_109, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Jayson_109

Jayson_109 Junior Member

Anyone else out there using Optima Batteries??

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

battery

not me i heard to many bad thing's about their warranty practices . i got a o'reileys super start extreme gel filled battery ,better warranty and a lot cheaper .

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

All my trucks have them! Best battery maid!

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

same here. i have heard way to many horror stories about optima batteries to even think of using them. and you can not buy them from any of the better auto supply places here either, because the warranty practices suck.
    the off-road shops will not even sell them, because they had so many come back bad and were told they were not in warranty when the battery's were less than 6 months old.
    i use NAPA gold legend batteries in everything

5. Jayson_109

Jayson_109 Junior Member

well... interesting stories about the warranty. I find it odd that they have 2 year and a 7 year replacement on 2 different batteries.

6. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I dont know about the warranty issues for them, as I have never had any problems with
    any of the Red top's.

They are the only battery we found to last in our race cars.
    The G-forces generated in an oval car car causes normal batteries to go
    bad rather quickly. Most wont last a season.

The Optima batteries have been in our race cars and trucks for over 4 years
    and going strong...
    I have to say it was the best investment we made.....

7. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

I have had the same a yellow top Optima in a 77 bronco since 1999 that sits for a year at a time and it always starts right up. After having stock Motorcraft batteries in 2 2000 f350 powerstrokes last 7 years I replace with Motorcraft. Never any trouble even when plowing. Scott

8. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Used the red tops without any problems, but they are expensive...

9. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

bought one a 3 years back because one of my trucks would almost die out if you plowing to long with it.. well it didnt help at all, needed to built up alternator to fix problem. so imo they are a little bit of a waste of money.. but i will add they are in no way a bad battery just not worth the the extra dallors..

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought about them. But they seemed pricey and useless for me since I have the diesel and not many Strobes and such. So when I replace my batteries over summer probably. I am just going to hit Autozone. They keep your warranty info and never an issue returning anything. So if I burn out there batteries in 4 years on 5 year warranty battaries. I get prorated and some money off a new ones. Hey I am happy they did they there job. And I think if one goes bad under 2 years they just replace it for you.

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Can someone explain why optima are so much better. I looked at their site but I don't speak tecnical terms. So hopefully someone can explain the differences in laymans terms

12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

battery's

i think the biggest thing about theirs and other's made like there's is that they are gel filled ,and that helps them with stand vibration a lot better .

13. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the optima gel cell batteries are real big with the off road rock crawler crowds. this way when you roll the truck over, the battery acid does not pour out of the battery.but for on road use, they are pretty much a waste of money

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I replaced both of my stock batteries 3 years ago with yellow tops. Yes the cost alot of money but they have not failed me yet. I have a plow and a downeaster spreader along with 6 strobe heads and a led light bar. Never had a problem running all of them at once, when I had the factory battery it was a problem.IMOP they are worth the money, would I buy them again, yes in a heartbeat.

Regards Mike

15. kj330

kj330 Member

I have the Napa Brand Blue top gel in my 200 F 250 v10 as my #2 battery. it powers my 8.5 Xtreme V, 6 hide away strobe lights, clearance lights,sander, dump insert,and 4 back up lights no problem.his is a deep cycle battery and is ran in parrallel to my regular interstate battery.This battery was 80.00 cheaper at my cost. its the same as the deep cycle Optima

16. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

There are better gel's out there besides Opty's. Opty's suck since they were bought out.

My Diehards have been working and last longer for me, not to mention the Platinum edition is the AGM style.

17. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I just picked up 2 redtops for my truck. I was reading the pamphlet that came with the battery, it says that redtops are not suited for vehicles that have "heavy accessory loads". I would Imagine that my plow, auxiliary lighting and 900W stereo would fall into that category. I guess i'll be returning these in trade for yellowtops.

18. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Nah you dont have to Diesel have no injection system so they dont draw tons of amps like the gassers

19. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

My fear is toasting that much $$$ worth of batteries

20. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Done! Did the exchange for the yellowtops and installed them this afternoon. If the 1st start is any indication, I think I'm gonna like these. Cranked over really fast and there was minimal diming of the lights, or slowing of the heater fan with everything running and swinging the blade from side to side.

For the price of 'em, they better do the job...