1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Optima batteries

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leeddog65, Dec 20, 2005.

1. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Anyone running Optima batteries? These are the Marine and batteries that they put in cars with "systems"?
  2. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

cant do any better, there top of the line
  3. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

My plow is a Meyer elec/hydraulic so yeah, I use an Optima Yellow top in my Jeep and am very pleased with it.

EXCESSIVE FORCE Junior Member

I've got the red tops,and they started the mighty CUMMINS at -28 w/o being plugged in !! I
  5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

ive got a pair of yellow tops in the chevy. nice batteries. all the power i'll ever need.
  6. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

hey how much did those red tops run ya cause i am gonna be due for some new batts soon i think
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I run dual Red Top Optima's look HERE.

They were $216.00 at batteries plus.They've got a pretty good warranty too.

9. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

If, you find your local Interstate Battery distributor or dealer, they might have BLEMS for around $100 for red tops. BLEMS are just batteries with minor defects or misplacements of posts and such. Still work the same. I have been running BLEMS for many, many years.

GREAT batteries !!!:salute:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am running dual Red Tops in my F-350 great batteries and got rid of dimming problems.
  11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Is there a diff between the Red and Yellow's besides color? and if so, which is better and why?

Thanks fellas
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

There is a big debate over this subject. Maybe do a few searches and draw your own conclusion.

Personally, I don't feel we drain our batteries down enough to warrant a deep cycle. They're constantly being recharged. I prefer the starting type batteries as quick taps of power is all were subjecting them to.

Now if you were a tow truck or operated a winch or other LONG power draining equipment, then yes. But for the short blips of power a plow takes, I don't see the advantage of a deep cycle.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I agree with TLS, Yellow is Deep cycle and you see them in competition audio cars where it it needed that there is a large amount of current for a long time. The reds are pretty much everyday batteries just better. Save you money and get the red tops. The Red tops come with 2 different Cranking amp options get teh 800 Cranking amps ones, that is what I did.
  14. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

This maybe true, But i called the Optima factory and told them what i would be using them for, and they specifically recommended the deep cycle yellow-tops for plowing applications.
  15. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

I just put a new red optima and wired for an extra red optima in my 94 dualy. You can buy the extra tray and evap canister reloaction bracket at your dealer for the 88 to 98 CK's for about 40 bucks. I bought it with a five year old optima in it, and it still works in another of our warm season trucks with a small v8. But it didn't have the soup to turn over the 454 in cold weather anymore. I think that battey is a 1997, and it is still going. To be fair, I only put a plow on that truck last December.

as far as price, maybe my parts house guy really likes me. I paid 134.99 for each, of the higher CCA model.

Speaking of, do any of you guys know where to get GOOD custom battery cables made? All I can find close is the basic end to ends. I want to put a 2 guage between them and have a marine terminal on each end (easier to hook up plow solenoid and the mag machine I made with wing nuts). Right now I used a welding cable clamp to splice two premade cable toghether. It looks very bush league. Even with my custom red electrical tape.

I'm close to Spokane, WA.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Also Red Tops you get a 3 year free replacement, Yellows you get 6 months! Something to be said for that! Of course they will reccomend that, it is top of the line. They would probably reccomend that to some saying they wanted to add a CB radio!

17. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

price difference between yellow and red is only a few bucks... at least it was where i bought them. 150.00 a piece out the door.

You could try a heavy truck shop for custom cables.:nod:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

$99 for the red tops here and $156 for Yellow tops. $57 savings or $114 for duals and I get a better warrenty on the reds!

20. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

wow thats a big difference in price for the reds. they wanted a 130.00 around here when i got the yellows. Warranty isnt that big of a deal to me. When they f-up,throw em away and get new ones.