1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opnion on puting a 7.5 ft SD on 2009 GMC 1500 extended cab

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Gmc-sierra2009, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Gmc-sierra2009

Gmc-sierra2009 Junior Member
    from Erie,Pa

I wanting to get a few opnions. I am looking at putting a plow on my truck to plow a few drive ways. I was origionaly going to put on a Fisher HT. After hearing some of the problems some of the guys are having with Fisher and Western plows, I decisded to look at Boss plows. I went to a dealer and he recommended to me to buy Standard duty plow. I can get the plow installed for $3,887.00 plus tax.

My question is this to much plow for my truck. I say this do to Boss only shows using the Sport duty for my truck? I would appreciate any opnions.

Thank you

2. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

not sure on how you could hold boss standard.
    Have exact same truck and having same dilemma. I have plenty of plow trucks but could use another spare or one to clean my shops lot while I am out and someone is bored but its my personal truck and want something that isnt gonna kill that p*ssy front end on these things. I would not go with boss standard it is too heavy. It seems that all the 1/2 ton plows are having issues and I bounce back and forth reading these but for affordability they say the dogg and the boss and western seem a little heavier duty but you pay for it. Meyer drive pro seems to have its problems to and this is what I was looking at originally but waiting for them to get the quirks out of pumps.
    price i could not tell you, where i am we get little snow so they rape you if you buy them here.

3. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

Have you both looked into the Boss Sport Duty model? I have one on my Jeep Wrangler, no complaints. Seems to be built very strong, but come in at like 400 pounds

4. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I would recommend the Boss Sport Duty too. Don't hold your breath on the Meyer pump problem getting fixed. I had a brand new Meyer in 1985 and had pump problems then. Now 25 years later, the pump problem is still not fixed. For drives, the Sport Duty is perfect.

5. naturalgreen

yeah i read some good things about the boss sport duty a little heavier than most so it will prob back drag better.
    i have run alot of meyers and have always had probs but nothing to big and always easy fixes new c mainly.
    They hate curbs the pressure relief is way undersized but they have done me proud for many years other than that. My western broke more often but it is hard for me to judge since it was run by my workers and they do not baby things like me. I watch some of these videos of guys proud of their stacking and my stomach sinks when they hit that pile at 20 miles an hour and ride up it i know you can but ouch.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For a few driveways the sport is an excellent choice for the lighter GM's as they're very tough for their "homeowner use" designation and will even take some commercial plowing if it's done within reason.

However the truck will carry a standard duty too with a little suspension assistance and some ballast even though it's 130 lbs heavier than a sport. But regardless it will be over on the FAWR, which is what determines the vehicle application "fits" for a given plow series.

So it basically comes down to whether you want to remain "legal" and how much plowing you actually do as well as how much may be in your future. A few drives or a small commercial or two a sport is more than up to the job. Anything more than that a standard would be better suited.

7. naturalgreen

man have you seen the wussyness of the new front ends. Some good suspension beefing is needed is an understatement. I was just referring to the fact he said it was the one they suggested and I know it has to be over. 130 lbs more isnt too bad. I have a truck that is over and have years of trouble free use but it is not a 1/2ton running a commercial lot. I cant see the new ones running as nice as my early 90s 1/2 ton did with a heavy plow. definately get some ground clearance before you stack weight up front. And legality is your business and the insurance company if they catch you

8. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

I'm thinking also of putting a Boss standard duty on my 2005 half ton GMC, just concerned about the full trip , I owned a Fisher with the trip blade before, is rugged enough?. I'll be doing alot of gravel driveways. Anybody out have experiences with this plow?