1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opions on 2002 Chevy 1500HD Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MetroBoston, Jan 5, 2006.

1. MetroBoston

MetroBoston Junior Member

Hi I'm looking at a 2002 1500HD with 38,000 miles on it. It has never been plowed with and they are asking 18,500.00. I'M looking for feed back on this truck there doesnt seem to be much info on the net. I was wondering how it would do with a RD plow on it. I know it has the 8 lug axles but does it have what it takes to be called a HD and I always thought HD's where 3/4 and up. I will not start talking price until i know the truck is worth buying or I should be looking at 2500's.

Thank you for any feed back.
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Metro if you are going to be doing alot of plowing do yourself a favor and go buy a 3/4 HD. Of course thats just my 2 cents worth, but buy a truck that is made to work which is the Chevy 3/4 HD. Its a beast but is does like gas. You will be much happier with that truck.

Good Luck Mike
  3. Brett K

Brett K Member

I don't think you could even get a plow prep package on that truck. I wouldn't recommend it for plowing with a 7.5 RD.
  4. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I had a 03 GMC 1500hd and really liked it. But I bumped into a tree and totaled it. I bought a 2500 hd and it is night and day diference. The frame is thicker the rear end is a full floater,brakes are bigger. Do yourself a favor get the 2500 hd
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

the 2500 HD is really a single wheel one ton, whereas a regular 2500 is probably pretty close to a 1500HD. The 1500 HD has the bigger brakes and 8 lugs, plus it has the bigger motor than the 1500, so it should work fine for plowing. My boss has one, a 2002, and I drive it all the time. It doesn't tow as well as the 01 2500 I drive, but it does the job. My biggest complaint is that the motor has no nuts. Every single 4x4 with a 6.0 I've driven is nutless IMO, but the 2wd 2500 with the 6.0 is a rocket, even though it's got over 250k on it. Must be the rearend gears, because the motors are all the same as far as I know. If you could find the right rearend gears it would be worth it, but theres only so many 1500hds out there. I'd start looking at 2500hds, a lot bigger market to choose from, and a bit more truck too. Just be sure to find one with 4:10 gears.
    And as far as the price goes, I've seen new ones going for not much more than they are asking.
  6. vgodenwa

vgodenwa Junior Member

A 1500HD is the exact same truck as a 2500 light duty.
    It just came with crew cab instead of extended cab.
    Don't know about snow prep package, but it doesn't have the 7.5 diff of the 1/2 ton, it has the same front diff as the HD. The rear is the smaller axle (9.5" c-clip vs 10.5" full floating).
    Von Odenwald
    2001 Silverado 2500 4X4