1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRUNSWICK CONCRETE, Dec 17, 2002.

1. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

What 8'plow would you guys favor for plowing fire and logging roads.No pavement.

2. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Uuuuh, someone elses 8' plow rather than mine?:cool:

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think a fisher bottom trip plow and a urethane edge would work fine.
    Dino

4. BRUNSWICK CONCRETE

BRUNSWICK CONCRETE Member

What is this about urethane cutting edges.Explain please.

5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

Polyurethane is a flexible material that is said to have superior abrasions resistance. It is said to outlast steel 3-1. It also is more costly by comparison (as are most technological advancements). The distinct advantage to someone wanting to plow log roads is that the edge will absorb much of the shock that would otherwise transfer from the plow to the frame, vehicle and eventually to you the passenger.

I just bought a poly edge for my atv and installed it a week or so ago. We have not had any snow to use it, but I did wear it in by running it on dry pavement. I also dropped the plow in gravel. The machine slowed down, but scraped up surprisingly little gravel. With a steel edge, it may have slowed down enough to throw me over the handle bars!

There are many threads on this topic if you do a search on polyurethane edges at this site.

6. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

One that is attached to a skidder :D

Definitely one with a U edge :nod:

7. plowking35

from SE CT

You can call me regarding ?? about urethane edges. 860-608-1842
    I looked at a Fisher X blade last week, and it looks likewith the more vertical angle of attack, it should trip easier.
    Dino

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

DIno

Out of curiosiy , did you get a price on that X blade ?? How much ?? I thought about looking at them , but figured I could not afford it , so I didnt bother. Whats an 8' like 5 grand ??

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plow several Fire Roads. I have two Fishers - 9' and 7.5'. The trip edge works well for those times you get too close to a tree root. I imagine they would be about the same on a logging road.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2002
  10. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I do some roads for a couple of logging contractors.

Seriously look at a Fisher EZ V you'll need the v plow to punch through and open the road up especially after a couple of feet of snow. Usually these guys want you to do the road before shift change or when the 18 wheelers want to move some product, so there's no such thing as plowing with the storm. Also give DEL Equipment in Moncton a calll they're distributors for the Sidewing plow, there's pictures of it on plowsite. I haven't had a chance to put mine to use yet, but it should be really usuful for doing roads

Bill

Ps re tires Go with studs for logging roads, or run 2 trucks, one to plow and one to pull you out especialy after the 18 wheelers have packed the snow down and we get our usually thaw and everything turns to ice

11. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

You could use either a fisher or a bos V and make a special pair shoes for them so that they are angled and have them left the plow off the ground slightly so that the trip edges dosen't catch all the time.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

Do not get the fisher v plow for fire roads unless you fabricate positive stops for the area where the wing contacts the a frame. The western v plows has positive stops, other wise you will crease the back of the plow box section above where the angle cylinder pins to the wing. I have seen over 20 of these plows bend there, and fishers answer is that is the way they were designed.
    Fire roads will tear them up.
    Dino

13. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Fire Roads

Buy a Motor Grader, with a V-Plow. That'll stand up to anything!:cool: See them used by the county for the back roads in Meaford Ontario, Canada.

14. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

15. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Just an Option

Take a length of 3" schedule 40 round tube ( the length of your cutting edge ) Mill a groove the length of the tube the width of your edge. Place it on the bottom edge of your cutting edge--lower the plow to clamp it in place---drill a hole at each end--bolt in place.

Best edge for gravel-sod-fire roads.. It prevents the blade from tripping as much, and it's awsome on pavement.

Just my 2 cents.

The plowing worlds solution to many of un-answered questions.:rolleyes:

16. snow_man_48045

Pipe Plow

Like to see how long that edge holds up on asphalt after a very long night of plowing. :confused:

17. snow_man_48045

Pipe Plow

Like to see how long that edge holds up on asphalt after a very long night of plowing. :confused:

18. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

2 cents to $20

I don't use the edge all to often, and I use a quick pin istead of a bolt nut combo. Plus, with about $20 of time and materials to produce, I don't bit#%.

Can't please everyone.:nono: