1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tattood_1, Dec 28, 2008.

1. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I am kinda new to pushin snow for money. Done my family and friends free usually. I have a buddy that bid a lot and ask if I would sub for him to help him out. I told him yes for $45 an hour. That was $10 cheaper than I was offered by 2 others.
    After we got everything agreed on and the first snow came he told me he had to bid the lot cheaper than he planned so he could only pay me $35 an hour. Him being a friend and all I told him alright. Now the more I think about it, it is not really worth it by the time I take out my truck payment, fuel, wear & tear, and time.
    The way I feel about it is, just because he dropped his price doesn't automatically drop mine. If he makes just $5 an hour by me being there, he is still making money off of me and my truck just being there.
    Am I right or should I just roll with it?

2. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

For $35 an hour your paying him to plow his lots.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Consider it on the job training. Learn to plow and get paid for it.

4. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

ditto I can take my sweet time plow 2 single car drives in 30 mins and make more than that not worth. Things like this are what can really screw up a friendship

5. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

$35 an hour is a joke.

6. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Thats what I'm afraid of doing, loosing a friend over money. But, if my truck breaks he aint fixing it. I wasn't planning on doing this as a job, so on the job training, I dont need. I Bought the truck to do mine and families drives. Was doing this to help him out because he bit off more than he could chew, and I ended up on the short end of the deal I feel.

7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

How big is the lot?

8. scooled101

scooled101 Senior Member
    from midwest

now that you are in the situation its hard to approach without sounding like an a$$ The only advice I can give is let him know what kinda money you will need to continue because you need that overhead just incase your equipment breaks just an idea

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

FYI plowing average is about $100 per hour. You're getting screwed.

10. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

$65 for a beginner is avg. around here.

11. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

i wouldn't get out of my warm bed for $35 an hour. there just ain't any sense in working for free

12. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

Takes 4 trucks 3 hours to do 4" of snow. 5 seperate lots. (He owns 3 trucks)

13. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i dout he rolls any of his trucks for 35 an hour tell him thanks but no thanks.

14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If he is a friend, explain things to him. Ask him to show you what he is making on the lot. He has to have everything on paper, or under contract. If he shows you, and is able to prove thats all he can pay you, then you have to decide if it's worth it to you. If he refuses to show you, then I guess you know what kind of friend he is, and you should walk. I am the kind of person that goes above and beyond for a friend, so this is what I would do. I expect my word to be as good as any contract, and even better to a friend. I might have a problem walking from him, but I would not hesitate to re-negotiate, if you feel he has lied to you.

15. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

$35/hr is for a kid shoveling a driveway... dont let him take advantage of you or your "friendship".

16. Friend or not I wouldn't do it for $35 an hour. Thats a stupid low rate to pay a sub.

Look at it this way... You could do residential driveways at a very low rate of $20 per push and that is very low. It would take you less than 5 minutes per driveway but for argument sake lets assume 5 minutes per driveway. Now you have travel time to get to the next. Lets say 10 minutes travel time. At these figures you could plow 4 driveways in an hour (trust me, you can do a lot more than 4)... So 4 x $20 would give you $80 per hour.

He is a friend, go out for a few beers and bring it up... Tell him its not enough money to make it worth your time after all your expenses come out. I'm sure he'll understand. If he doesn't, he wasn't much of a friend to begin with.

17. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

you have to find out what he is making without you there. b/c when your there your taking $35 per hr. you could actually be taking a considerable ammount from his profits. and he might have asked you as a friend to do this so he doesnt have to pay a true subcontractor $80 per hr.

but also keep in mind. most contractors overbid accounts by a certian percentage to allow for unforeseen expenses. such as a sub.

so you need to tell him that you are concerned about your property and that $35 per hr may not be enouph to cover necessary repairs to your plow and vehical. and that you would appreciate it if he could pay you more.

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

How is it Tatood's problem other than being the guy's friend? Tatood told him $45/hr to be fair as a friend (not looking to steal the guy's mortgage payment, just a "fair" compensation for expenses, an amount that SHOULD have been in the bid so it's not coming out of the leftover profit), and the buddy bid the site poorly with the expectation of screwing Tatood. When you have employees or subs, YOU get paid last. If you make less coin for the sake of keeping a contract, then that's the price you pay. It's not Tatood's account, so there's no reason he needs to take a bath on payment. I wouldn't touch $45/hr anywhere as a sub, but that was his choice. $35 is even more unreasonable.

19. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

If 4 trucks can do it in 3 hours, then 3 trucks can do it in 4. IMO he doesn't need you. I don't know anyone that plows less than 4 hours per snow. I've never plowed less than 8 myself, usually 12 or more.

I don't even do deliveries for $45 an hour, unless maybe for a friend.