1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions Wanted: Plow Options

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by LST-HWY, Dec 6, 2006.

1. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

I'm looking for some advice... I own a 2000 F-350,srw, reg cab, 4x4, 7.3l diesel. I got the go ahead from management to buy myself a plow at there expense provided I plow the lots here at the plant when it snows, My local options are 8-10ft. Blizzard @ $6000.00 installed, or a Meyers 7 1/2 @ $4295 installed w/lights controls etc. I can also get a Fisher or a Boss localy, and would like to keep it under 5 grand or so. I don't plan on plowing for money just the work lots, docks etc. and my personal drive. I also have 37" tires and have never pushed before.

Any advise would be appriciated!

Nice site by the way....I really enjoy it.

Thanks, LST-HWY
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If they'll spring for the 810, go for it. For plowing lots, the wings will be worth it. The 7.6' is just too small for that truck. Otherwise, I'd go for a V-plow between 9' and 10' (Fisher or Boss).
  3. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

Not to sound ******** but is that what the 810 is? It has wings? And also why not take it up a notch with a similar question.... Are the V-plows, V's all the time? If so I'm assuming you can't plow straight, or does that even really matter.

Thanks for humouring my ignorance. :)
  4. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Nope...V plows can have each half of the plow blade angled independantly allowing you to form a V, straight blade, or scoop shape.
  5. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

Now that sounds cool! Lemme check on some prices, Thanks.
  6. Mick

from Maine

Yes, 810 Blizzzard is an 8' plow with hydraulic 1' wings on each side that you can retract behind the main part or extend or form to scoop. A V-plow is hinged in the middle to form a "V" or an inverted "V", straight or anything in between. Which is best really depends on what you're going to be using it for. A V plow will be best for breaking through deep snow and it can carry some snow in the inverted shape. An 810 will be best for carrying the most snow. Either one are more money than a comparable straight blade. That's why I said for plowing lots, you'd be better with the Blizzard 810. But, it's about $2000 more than a straight 8' plow.
  7. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I've got an 8'6" Fisher EZ-V & the thing is great! It makes clean-up easy when the snow gets pretty thick.
  8. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

Work is paying for it though...right?
  9. Mick

from Maine

Yep, hence in my original post I said - "If they'll spring for the 810, go for it".:bluebounc
  10. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

Well... I can get a Meyer Super-V 8.5 for $5895 installed, a Fisher EZ-V 8.6 for $4425 in the box, or a Fisher straight 7 1/2 for $3575.

I like the Meyer super-v but I don't like the weight @ 915lbs.
    Even the Fisher EZ-V is @ 899lbs.

Too many decisions, I'll have to think on it.
  11. Mick

from Maine

Life is tough sometimes with so many difficult decisions.:cry: :salute:

Have fun.
  12. bryanj23

bryanj23 Senior Member

I think I recall somebody on here saying that a set of Timbrens (check the banners at the top of the site's home page) are around $200 to cope with the weight on the front end.
  13. Rickco

Rickco Member

Hands down go for the Blizzard 810. After you plow a little with it you will love it.
  14. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Any chance they are hiring? I would cut the grass there if they bought me a new zero-turn mower.

$6k for a Blizzard 810 is insane. $4300- $4800 here. And yes the 810 should be your first choice.

15. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. So it sounds like most would choose the Blizzard 810 over a V-plow. Which is acctually what I was leaning toward after thinking about it. If I install it myself I can get the Fisher EZ-V 8.6 for $4425. So If I decide on one of the V-plows does anybody think the extra weight would be a problem? Even with a set of Timbrens? I also installed a 2.5" leveling kit in the front wich is a 5 spring pack w/ progressive leafs, would that help out any? Like I said the Meyer V= 915lbs, and the Fisher V= 899lbs (I think there abouts)? Seems like alot of extra weight especially with a deisel.
  16. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

I want to know more about this 37 inch tires and if you have regeared to make up the difference from stock. How big of a lift are you running. When you mention docks, are there areas you may have trouble with a large plow? When you say at the plant, what kind of plant? There may be better options for snow removal if you have spare forklifts, frontend loaders and such.
  17. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Very well said!!!!! Matter of fact I just got in a little while ago from plowing with the 810payup payup
  18. LST-HWY

LST-HWY Junior Member

There 37x12.50x17s and no regearing (stock 3:73) w/ a tuner and the deisel there was minimal power lose, she can still smoke a 37.

No lift just a 2.5" leveling kit

There are 9 docks in a row, it's a wide open area.

It's a fairly large manufacturing plant about 185,000 sq. ft.

And yea' we have all that equipment but that wouldn't get me a plow! :) And besides I'm tired of replacing curbs, storm drains, drainage covers, hydrants, etc... you name it they will destroy it wich gets pretty costly. Higher management suggested hiring a contractor to plow then I volunteered.
  19. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

I've ordered and am putting a Fisher V on my 2500HD diesel. You will be fine on the 1ton. Did you check the weight of the 810 ... it's not light either!!! Ballast is your friend!
  20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If it was me, I would go for the V-plow. You can scoop, angle right or left, backdrag straight, or run the V position. BTW, the Blizzard 810 is 950 pounds, without the weight of the undercarriage on the truck. You might want to check into BOSS, they also make a great product. Go to www.bossplows.com, they have comparison videos of all the plows. Just more info for you to make a educated purchase! :)