1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted please Wash or not to wash

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SNOWLORD, Nov 12, 2012.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

So over the years I have wrestled with this in my head so thought I would throw it out there. Every year my salt truck gets a good washing and everything but the cab gets a heavy coat of used hydraulic oil, (being a hook truck it is easy to get entire frame and what not) anyway I am not sure if it would be better to set salter off and wash everything 3 or 4 times per winter or just leave the oil do its thing and clean and wash good in the spring. I have tried both ways and it seems when you wash in between storms you wash the oil away. What do you all do? Im thinking I will just leave and wash in spring. I hate rust!!
  2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Old timers use motor oil cut with a lil diesel. But yeah, I think youll be fine with a good shallacking and no washing. Youd probably be best to reapply a few times throughout the season though, and while at it, you may as well wash her down too lol....
  3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I have the same setup as you mentioned. I use a backpack sprayer with a 50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel. I power wash the truck, sander, frame etc after each salting and then spray the entire thing minus the cab with the mixture.