1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions wanted. New vs Used. Gehl vs Deere.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Mark13, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking to add a skid steer into the mix before next winter and have been pricing out models. So far I've priced out 2 Gehl 5640's and 1 Deere 326D. There's a Case dealer semi close that I'd like to hit next week along with another couple deere dealers and maybe a NH dealer also. Right now it's between the two with the biggest dealer support in my area though.

In my search I've also stumbled upon a used Gehl.

So here's my question, new or used from those who have purchased equipment before or spent much more time then I have around/in them.

What I'm looking at:

Found a used 2007 Gehl 5640E.
    403hrs, 82hp oil cooled 4cyl Duetz. Turbo/ no intercooler
    2500lb capacity with counter weight. Approx 7800lb operating weight
    - 2 speed
    - Cab/Heat
    - Radio
    - Pilot controls with hydraglide
    - Block heater
    - Rear counterweight/bumper
    - Suspension seat
    - Electric quick attach
    - No attachments

2 tires at 80%, 2 at 50% Also has near new snow tires on wheels for approx $1100 (has under a half hour of use on them)

Has 403hrs on it, seems to run and work like new. Guy primarily used it for snow and moving pallets of salt, said it saw very little spring- fall work. Washed pretty often, mild rust starting wherever there is powder coat flaking off. Said he does oil changes every 50hr's. Knew his stuff, seemed to treat it pretty well and took real good care of it. He's looking for $26.5k. I'd have to finance most of it at probably 5.5%+

Other option is a new 5640E
    84 hp liquid cooled 4 cyl Yanmar (replaced the 82hp Duetz in 2011) Turbo/ no intercooler
    2500lb capacity with counter weight.
    Operating weight is 8200lbs with counter weight.
    Comes with a 1yr Warranty.
    - Cab/Heat/AC
    - 2 speed
    - Pilot controls with hydraglide
    - Radio
    - Suspension seat
    - Standard 10ply tires
    - Block heater
    - Hydraulic quick attach
    - Rear counter weight/ bumper
    - Horn
    - 74" dirt bucket with bolt on cutting edge

Best price I've gotten is $42,900 after $8750 in discounts.
    Financing is 0% for 36mo. 1.9% for 48, and 2.9% for 60.

Also spec'd out a Deere 326D
    70hp 5cyl. Turbo/ intercooled.
    2,750lb capacity with counter weight. 8,200lb operating weight
    - E-H Pilot Controls with performance package
    - 2 speed
    - Power quick attach
    - Pressurized Cab/Heat/AC
    - Radio
    - Cloth Air Suspension Seat
    - Horn
    - One grade above standard 10ply tires
    - Cold Start Package (block heater, bigger battery, etc)
    - Counter weight
    - Chrome Exhaust. payup
    - 78" Dirt bucket with bolt on edge.

Priced at $41,000 after $11k in rebates with more possible to end up in the $39k range.

Financing is 0% for 42mo. 1.9% for 48. 3.9% for 60.

Just looking for your guys opinions. I'm feeling the Deere is the best deal right now and their dealer support around me is near ridiculous. I can hit 8+ dealerships in a 70 mile radius of my house, 2 dealerships being no more then 20 minutes away. There's two Gehl dealerships within 20 minutes of my house, both are smaller but say they carry most common items with the distribution center being a half hour away if needed.
  2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Is this going to be a business purchase(LLC, corp, inc) or for personal purchase?
    Are you going to use it much in the hot months?
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

All of my skids have been Bobcats. Your specs are good, mine are all single speed. If/when I look for another it will be a 2 speed, with high flow. The snows are a VERY good option, though $ 1100, is a little much, I believe there around $ 1400 new, but he probably would rather keep for his new unit because he knows what there worth in the field.
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

The used gehl & new deere both sound like decent deals. When do you plan on buying?
  5. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

dont know much about the deere,but the gehls are decent machines. pretty easy to work on too.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to buy it for myself but I've never considered setting up a llc/corp/inc, etc. Don't know what's all involved with it.

I'd probably plan on buying a used machine between now and next spring, the new machine would probably be bought before the 1st of the year but I wouldn't get it until mid january or later. I wouldn't mind having some of the income from plowing this year in the bank account to help with the purchase of the machine to get better payments and stuff.

The gehl's seem like good machines, I just don't know much about the Duetz motor and don't want to buy a ticking time bomb.
  7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Both are nice machines. I don't like the oil cooling on the Gehl's, If you don't follow the proper procedure for changing the oil and get all the air out of the system it will destroy the engine. Helped a friend replace a engine due to this. Dealer said it is a common thing. The JD I don't like the lift arms, they seem to obstruct my view more than most other skid steers.

I am sure you will be happy with either machine.

Just my .02
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What can you afford? The used Gehl will cost you $617/month for 48 months and the Deere will cost you $928 for 42 months. This is with nothing down but it is food for thought. Life isn't always about what the best deal is, it's about what you can afford.
  9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

what about an older, used machine you can pay cash for? You can get a good older deere/new holland well under $10k.
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The current owner gave me a quick run down on how he changes the oil in it so your sure to get everything out and keep it happy.

I'm going off past purchases and a $400/mo payment is pretty easy for me to do. I would put money down though, not finance the whole thing.

I've been thinking about it for a few days too so I don't get to much money tied up in equipment with no way of keeping them working to make them pay for themselves.

I'm really only familiar with the older Case 1845C machines. While near bulletproof I'm not sure if that's something I want to spend 10+ hours in plowing snow. I've spent some time in the older 773 bobcats and they were nice but none of them had very many options and were pretty bare bones.
  11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

From years of experience running deere and bobcat skid loaders, stay away from the deeres unless all you're doing is moving pallets.

The hydros run about double the pressure of bobcats and they burn through hydro pumps, not to mention they are deafinging loud to operate and the cab is to cramped to be safe. Oh and the jd's heater sucks in exhaust.

I like jd tractors, but their skids suck.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Except I need to pack a lunch to get to the closest Cat dealer just so I can deal with their poor attitude.

Are you talking about the older machines or the new D series that came out a year or two ago?

I've spent some time in a 2005 Deere 332 and wasn't overly impressed. Looked at a couple new 326D and 328D machines at the dealer yesterday and they look much better then what I was expecting from previous experience in them.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  14. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

So, you've never ran other machines but can throw out some ridiculous statement like that?

To the OP, I'd go for the Deere over the Gehl personally. I would also say check out a 440S3 if you get a chance.
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Colin's statement was made as a joke from a conversation we had a few days ago.

440S3, I'd assume your talking about a Case machine?
  16. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

If you're going to be using it a lot in the summer go with the liquid cooled.
    You seem to be a level headed guy. You'll make the right choice. You found 3 good machines
    At good prices. If you're really stuck on the choice to make see what is more financially smart. Then see what the cost of ownership is for 5 years with the price broken down per year. For used machines you should figure about 10-15% of the purchase price will be additional maintenance cost.
  17. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

we have had very little engine trouble with gehls. few head gaskits is all.all our machines go to dairy farms and get very abused,digging into bunk silos,pushin feed,cleaning cow manure,etc.we now only sell case units cause gehl choose to give our contract to another dealer,but we still service the ones we sold. we see wheel bearings once in awhile,but very solid machines.
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been doing a lot of reading and searching today. The 1999-2005 New Holland LS180 machines look pretty nice. Along with a few of the the Older LX885's that I have found. All have Cab/Heat and 2 spd. Most have foot controls along with no a/c, no radio, and front doors with limited visibility on the bottom. :mad: I'd live though and it would make me appreciate a nicer machine down the road much more.

I've also located a low hour (650hr) 2005 New Holland LS 190B with Cab/Heat/Air, 2 spd, good tires, and hyd quick attach that looks pretty nice for $26k. It's a bit bigger machine then I need but seems to be one of the nicest used machines I've found, only problem is that it's 5hrs away.
  19. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

try the john deere before u buy because I demoed one and didnot like it bad visibility behind and very twicky to run I am waiting for a newholland 225 to come in alot smoother running of a machine
  20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Where r u located at there is a nice new holland in nj for sale and one in Maryland too that one is on lawn site