1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions sought....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by forestfireguy, Nov 2, 2010.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I've used magic treated salt on walks before, also used Calcium pellets, of the two, I've never noticed any damage to concrete when properly applied. What's the forum think, does the benefit, be it perception, cost, effective range justify arguing the point with clients, I have people who spec Calcium beacuse thats' what they've always done and it's never had an adverse effect anywhere, others are actively seeking an alternative.

Honeslty I like magic treated salt, it less coslty and does the same (if not better) job than Calcium Pellets, I can fill buckets from a bulk pile, basically replenishing stock as needed without having to buy 18 pallets to get the best price. IHaving used both I can't really say I've had more tracking or slippery interior complaints from one than the other, you guys? However all that said, it won't replace calcium outright, definitely not this year, I kinda doubt ever. Just curious as to how the rest of the industry looks upon this subject. I suppose this topic is broader than just Magic vs Calcium, it's more any "hot mix" treated salt product vs Calcium......

If there are real "Magic Guys" out there I'd love to hear/see some of the science, real science though not claims by the brewer of Magic, same for the Calcium cops out there, if you're a distributor fore away with real information, again not the manufactureres delusions of granduer....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010