1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions Please????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Paint Works Inc, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Paint Works Inc

Paint Works Inc Junior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have searched this site and found some great info, But like everybody else I'm still going to ask the same question over again.. I Have a 04 RAM 1500, I can't upgrade to a 2500 this year so I'm stuck with what I have. A friend of mine has been fortunate to have allot of additional accounts this year and could use my help. Smaller lots, I have researched all the plows available for my truck and still can't decide between the Boss - sport Duty, The Western Midweight or the Sno-Way 26 Series.

So with all that said, Maybe you guys with experience with these plows can give me some help deciding, Money aside strickly basing your opinions on the durabilty and qaulity of these plows.

And yes I know these plows are not supposed to be Commercial plows, but I here everyone talk about they use them commercially anyway. On the lighter side of course.wesport

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 1 broker with the Western Midweight on a 2003 Ram. He bought the plow used. It was not in the best shape. In the first few nights he broke the A frame. We fixed that at my shop. Since then he has plowed for 3 years with it. Last year he had to have 120 hours maybe more. We plows schools for me and one is quite large, 2 to 3 hour plow. The plow has held up well and the truck has done quite well considering what he puts it through. He has over 120,000 miles on the truck. Maintenance is the #1 factor. His Ram is a 1500 also.
  3. VBR

VBR Member

I have a western standard ultramount witch i am pretty sure is the same as the mid-weight just a bit older, and it works fine on my 1/2 ton.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I vote for the Sno-Way. The down pressure is the reason why.
  5. Paint Works Inc

from CHICAGO

Thanks Guys
    the score so far

Western 2 / boss 0/ sno-way 1
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Down pressure is useful for back dragging:D. If your not going to do back dragging its a waist of payup

7. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever Member

I would go with boss plow.There weight is ok for back dragging. however they are heavy on f150s and 1500 series trucks some air bags help.no westerns here. never seen or tried snow ways
  8. Paint Works Inc

from CHICAGO

Thanks Guys
    the score so far

Western 2 / boss 1 / sno-way 1

9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not on your option list, but I have a hinker straight blade that has been very good. I don't know about in your area but here in mine hinker really beats everyone else on price. The hook up, has to be the easiest in the industry.
  10. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I disagree. Usually your smaller lots are your doctors offices, fast food joints, convenience stores, ect. Places where whether its snowing or not there is usually fairly steady traffic. The downpressure on the SnoWay comes in very handy for scraping up the hardpack. Saves alot on salt too.

Ok, I have a few issues with this thread.

1) Don't let a "best of 10" dictate what you need that will best serve you're individual needs. Take a look at your budget, find out exactly what you are expected to do with it, then armed with this info do your research. There is no 1 plow that will do it all the best. Take a look at features that may help you, look at the different construction methods, and figure out what would best fulfill your needs.

2) Pay close attention to your FAWR (front axle weight rating) and be sure not to exceed it. Some trucks are almost maxed before you even add passengers, much less a plow. Also, make sure you are covered with the proper insurance, no your auto policy is not enough, and no unless the guy you will be working for jumps through all kinds of legal & paperwork hoops, you will not be covered under his insurance either. Most, if not all snow contractors require their subs to carry the proper business and commercial vehicle liability ins.

3) If it helps, I do residential & light commercial with my steel 26 Series SnoWay and love it.

Take the time to do the right research and get what is best for you. Best of luck.
  11. Paint Works Inc

from CHICAGO

Here is my problem, i have done all the research and all three of the above plows are a good fit for my truck, in my area they are all within a couple hundred dollars of each other price wise. I also feel that anyone of the three would be good. So i thought maybe some input from a few experienced guys would help me make a better decision.

Oh and by the way i do really appreciate the info on the insurance. I will be on the phone today to my agent.

12. linycctitan

Glad we could help. If they're all within a few hundred of each other, I would go with the SnoWay for the ease of mount/dismount and the down pressure option is well worth the money. If you want to save on weight the poly is about 100 more than the steel. Best of luck.
  13. Gatekeepers

Gatekeepers Junior Member

how does the down pressure work
  14. linycctitan

The down pressure works great! Allows you to cut time down big time on jobs requiring any backdragging, and works wonders on hardpack from people driving over the snow. It's as simple as pushing the button on the controller to turn it on, it puts hydrualic down force on the cutting edge, you can actually see and feel the front end of the truck rise when its engaged. I certainly wouldn't use it on every pass, as I would probably go through cutting edges like crazy (if it ever snows here anyway!), but it saves time & salt and also improves traction when its on. Worth every penny of the $200 option.
  15. Gatekeepers

That is great news to hear. Now i just hope this plow fits its stainless still but it appears lighter than the other plows. It had a western on it.
  16. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

sno-way makes a nice plow but i would go with the western myself. i have a fisher now and its a work horse. i like fisher but on the three that you want to get i would get a western. they make some nice plows. put some timbrens on your truck and put a nice 7'6'' western on it.
  17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

i'm a fisher fan but thats for the heavy duty models, your truck has independent front suspension and many other weaker components, (which is why i waited to plow until upgrading to a ram2500) not to mention your truck won't be warrantied if plowed with.

That said go with the sno-way if you must.
  18. MercerUnlimited

MercerUnlimited Junior Member

1/2 ton disease

Thanks for stepping up and asking a tough question for all of us newbies afflicted with the 1/2 ton disease. Thanks for all the informative replies as well. I have a 05 F-150 and am getting it beefed up with some suspension enhancers etc. (Plenty for Columbus Ohio snowfalls). I could see where a guy in Buffalo might have a different opinion though. Thanks again
  19. Gatekeepers

Thank you.