1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on which pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by happy, Dec 11, 2012.

1. happy

happy Junior Member

I am looking at a few options as far as pushers go. We are replacing a 14foot rubber edged pusher that we use on a backhoe. We are wanting something with a steel cutting edge. Opinions based on science or knowledge and experience HUGELY appreciated.

Option 1. A fixed pusher with a steel trip like a protech, avalanche.

Option 2. Artic sectional.
    Price wise this is the middle of the road. On an uneven lot the artic in theory should do better than the protech, but with a few more moving parts. Although I have the ability to buy a artic ld14 (used 6hrs tops) for within a few hundred of the protech.

Option 3. Horst snowwing.
    This would be a 14'wide containment plow but would open up to a 20feet wide plow if we wanted to use it that way. 20feet wide would be good. The only thing bad is it has more moveable parts and more things to go wrong with it than even the Artic sectionals, or a fixed pusher.

Option 4. Kage innovations 14' backhoe model. I like this because we can windrow the whole lot, and then turn it into a pusher box when we are almost finished to clean up

2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have something similar to the Kage and the only down side is having to take the box ends off. If you're in a busy lot you're sometimes limited to where to can drop the ends windrow then come back and push. Speaking from experience go with the snow wing. You'll never regret it.

3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Personally, I would opt for a Pro-Tech IST steel edge model. The great thing about the Pro-Tech steel edge design is they still have no mechanical/moving parts. As I'm sure you know, they use flexible poly piece that the cutting edge bolts to. This piece is designed to bend when the steel edge trips. The method for adjusting the height of the steel edge is very easy as well. My biggest concern with them when I first saw them was, what if that piece of poly breaks, and how much does it cost to replace? Well I can tell you out of the several people that I know who have been running these models for many years, none of them have had any issues at all with the tripping mechanism. I also found out the replacement cost (if you ever needed to actually do that) is pretty reasonable.

You would not have to worry about springs, hydraulics, or moldboards falling out of place. Also, consider all repairs well down the road. Even though I think the others are cool designs (esp the HLA), how much will it cost to re-do all the hydraulic lines on the HLA someday? Or how much does a hydraulic rotator motor cost to replace on the wings?

The Pro-Tech provides a quick and cheap repair style. If its broken, then weld it. Also another gripe I have about some of the others is training an operator on them. If you've got the same guys year after year, or run a small crew, it most likely would not be a problem. But personally, I have guys moving around every year, whether its in the company or they leave the company. When making a purchase, I think of ease of use and training for that piece of equipment.

Although I will admit, some on here might say I'm a bit Pro-Tech bias.. Thumbs Up

4. broke down

broke down Junior Member
    from se wi

The company I sub for has a mix of rubber edge pro techs and arctic sectionals. I personally own 2 rubber edge pro techs. In the last 4 seasons on my route we run 1 loader with the sectional and my loader with the rubber edge pusher. The only advantage the sectional has is in the few areas where the storm manholes are in the lots where the pavement is un even. I would say that the IST protect will scrape the same as the sectional, because my rubber edge scrapes as well most of the time as the sectional. What we do is in the areas where the pavement is un even is just run the box on one side or the other of the un even spot to scrape up all of the snow. If that does not work we sometimes make a pass or two in these areas with a pickup or skid loader to move the snow to a flatter area. I agree with others that the moving parts with of the HLA and the potential mantainance costs scare me. The pro tech is simple and very effective. For my dollar I would rather spend my money on the pro tech and save the extra money to purchase additional trucks and equipment rather than high dollar seasonal attachments. This however is just my opinion.

5. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I just bought a Boss 12ft snow pusher for my loader. Have to say it is one of the best built pushers I have seen and also has a metal trip edge. Just my opinion.

6. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

This is a tough choice as I like the whole idea of the Kage system. I have a 12' Avalanche with the trip edge and don't really care for it all that much. I have a problem with mine tripping way to much and not rebounding so I have to stop lift it off the ground and back up and hit the area again. I also am running a Pro Tech 8' pusher on my skid but don't really have any hours to say how I like it so far. It has the rubber edge and my concern is how well it scraps compared to steel edges. I have heard a lot of good about the Pro Techs trip boxes and I think when I replace the Avalanche after this season it will be with a Pro Tech. Let us know what you end up with.

7. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

But those Boss pushers are sweet also! I was just looking at them the other day at my dealer and I would really consider those as well. To me it would be between them and the Pro Tech if I wanted a true box. If you have a lot of need of windrowing then I would go with a Kage.

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

you are close enough,..take a ride up to rochester, bring a trailer and a check,...bet you go home with a new pusher at a great deal.....just saying BWAI

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

And I'm sure the boys at Pro-Tech will hook you up with a good ole factory tour as well!

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your back hoe won't push a 14ft Snowing very well, plus a 12ft with the wings on a 45 is basically a 14ft plus anyways. There is nothng more productive then a Snowing type blade but all the moving parts has strayed me away from buying more of them even though I have had few problems. The LD Arctics are just that light duty and they won't handle abuse. They are better suited for a skid. I like the Protech IST but I'd like it even more if they had floating end plates like the Horst or Avalanche Optimus. I have never tried the Optimus but that is the blade I would ,lean towards as it floats like an Arctic but looks to be much heavier. I couldn't buy a blade with fixed end plates again as they result in blade or curb damge to an unskilled operator. The durability of the Optimus hasn't been proved yet either which could be a problem for you.

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Curious as to the size of your backhoe? How much does it weigh? Is it a 15,000 lb or bigger?

12. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

The kage is worth a look. Very versatile, well built, and highly productive. End plates are replaceable if needed and they float up on curbs etc.

13. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

My problem with the IST is this...... Wet snow. Everytime we have a heavy wet snow fall the force of plowing it keeps pushing the rubber down wearing the steel edge extremely fast. To the point that after a couple wet snow falls the edge needs to be replaced. One year I put three yes THREE edges on an IST. Also if and more likely when you damage/bend a wing it's an ordeal to repair.

Those 3 edges cost more than the 360 degree actuator ($500 to rebuild one we've had it done) and all the hoses combined on any of the Horsts we had at the time. plus if you demo a horst wing you unbolt and replace not pay a welder to cut off and essentially rebuild your wing.

Add in the massive increase in productivity and the snow wing is definately the way to go.

But get a Storm..... they are even better. Thumbs Up

14. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

The boss has the floating edges.