1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on what to tackle w/ 8' plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bison1973, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I'm new to plowing this season and I was just curious to see what types of jobs some of you guys do or think is doable with an 8' straight blade plow. I also have a taigate spreader that hold 600+ lbs. I was just wondering what some of you would and would not reccomend. I want to bid on more accounts for next winter but do not want to get into situations I can't really handle. Thanks for your input.
  2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Personally its what you feel comfortable doing and what time frame you have to work in. I only have about 10-20 accounts I plow regularly due to school and another job, I have an 8' plow on my truck it's also my first year on my own so I chose to stay low just incase something happened (I dont have a backup truck) I figure I can always shovel 10 drives. I also do drives where people wave me down just one hit wonder drives I may never do again. Its all up to you I know guys that may take up to 100 customers with one truck and some only 50 (if theyre doing it full-time). Explain what kind of jobs you want to everyone and what kind of jobs are available. If I were you I'd take it slow and get a few jobs to start so you can take your time in the truck and not run into anything I take on more accounts every storm ussually by word of mouth or just driving through town. Take it easy thats all I have for ya.
    Just my .02 cents
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

It all depends on what you like to plow. You could spend all your time at one huge account, or do 50 smaller accounts. Just make sure there is sufficient room to pile the snow. The 8ft plow is good for driveways too. You just want to make sure you don't get accounts that are too small, and have little room to maneuver your truck. Those are best done by skidsteers etc.
  4. snowflake

snowflake Member

a lot depands on what you want to do driveways only, or get into doin more commerical lots. i do only commerical lots, dont do driveways because donnt have most generally not lot off area to put snow. another reasons donnt want to go back in the spring to fix the home owners lawn. everthing has its pro.s and cons, in this business.

also you wanta make sure you equipment is in good shape too because cannt afford breakdowns and donnt want custumers callin and complainin they aint gettin plowed

just my dollar two ninety eight
  5. SDM Landscaping

SDM Landscaping Junior Member

hey i am a one man crew and i only do 10 accounts but they are fairly big ones. I do alright when it snows but i have come accross some slight problems this year. My screen in my pump got clogged so it wouldnt move the plow.. that set me back and i broke the power steering hose today. I'm looking to get a back up truck for next year. I'm finding out they are a must. Its not about the number of jobs its about the $$ in your pocket for the shortest time
  6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

The biggest thing i learned this year(and should have already known)keep your accounts CLOSE,I'm killing myself jumping all over,not next year,what seems like a short ride in the summer is a whole lot different in the winter,you don't make money driving around and it's frustrating to boot.Have a spare truck and plow ready to go(thank god i had both)your customers do not want to hear your truck or plow or both are dead!Keep checking up on plowsite,you will learn something new everyday,i know i do.
  7. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I agree with ArcBurn, when we first started we would take any account almost anywhere. Some were 40 mins apart in storm conditions. Well we learned from that. Keep them all close, I mean like 5 mins apart. I know it seems like no big thing, but when you have 10 or 20 accounts that all want to be plowed as soon as the snow stops, you will know what I mean. Try to take on a couple of small parking lots as opposed to 10 driveways. Its usually easier to plow a small lot, and thats only one customer to worry about, rather than several residential customers all calling at once.:drinkup:
  8. Arc Burn

Residentials calling all at once:realmad: ,every time it snows i get the same dozen or so that start calling as soon as they see the last flake"were are you","when are you coming","i'm waiting you know","i have things to do today,hurry up"these calls are usually about 10 minutes apart from one another,all my customers are serviced in a timely manner but someone will always be first and some one will always be last,i can't change that,point being,make sure you can plow your accounts in a timely fashion.
  9. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Thanks for your responses. The reason I asked is that in the town I'm trying to find work in it seems like the couple of large construction companies have most of the commercial market cornered. And I'm not just talking large Wal-Mart type lots, they are even in the fast food type lots with like two pickups and a large loader with bucket. My truck could handle these sized lots but I don't know if I could move all the snow into one pile like they do. And I know these businesses are obviously getting charged way more than what I would charge but don't seem to care.

10. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Your customers wait till it's over to call?
    Mine will call in the middle of a blizzard saying i need to get out to go to the store, or to workout etc... they expect you show up when the main roads aren't even plowed yet.
    That makes for a slow ride between driveways.
    And they ALL want to be first.

11. Arc Burn

Dan,LOL,semi off topic but related just the same,the "big"Christmas storm gave us 3.5 feet of snow,right in the middle of this i get a call saying they need to get out to pick up some friends for dinner,i explain theres 1.5 feet of snow on the roads and not the town,county or state have been out,"yea,but we still want to go"whatever i said,took me 45 min. to get there(usually takes 15 tops,roads were completely unplowed,i plowed there driveway,they walk out to there car and decide there's to much snow for them!no shiz nit idiot,thats what i told you!they just walked back in the house.
  12. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

8' plow is a good choice. I wish now that I went with a V though. as far as your competioin. At least in my area what seems to happen is... The business you are trying to get, sign on with a guy or company, and stay with them unless there are some major problems, so what I did... Be persistant. Every season submit a bid. Also, push your service. Business's will pay more for reliability. Good luck