1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on using Versatile 846 to plow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maximus44, Nov 2, 2014.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I would like to get some opinions from some of the tractor guys.
    I was looking at buying a Versatile 846 Tractor to plow a 4 acre commercial lot.
    The machine has a 14ft degelman plow on it that i can easily turn into a pusher,
    What do you guys think?

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I know a guy who uses an old jd 7520, the articulated 1970's one not the newer 7520. He runs this weird 16ft clamshell blade (looks like a hiniker scoop) and it works well.. the operator hates it because shifting those machines is a pain but for the price it moves a ton of snow.

3. rob_cook2001

I know a guy who uses an old jd 7520, the articulated 1970's one not the newer 7520. He runs this weird 16ft clamshell blade (looks like a hiniker scoop) and it works well.. the operator hates it because shifting those machines is a pain but for the price it moves a ton of snow.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like it's a silage blade or some form of. I bet that thing will move mountains of snow. But if it's the PQ trans like most of them I can only imagine how that operator feels after a storm. I'd be learning how to plow in circles really quick if I had to use one!

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it's setup to be a blade tractor for silage bunkers. I'm also guessing that blade doesn't have any sort of trip edge, all the Degelman blades I have been around are all solid mounted.

6. rob_cook2001

His is solid mounted! Scrapes right to pavement lol.. it does not have a quad, even worse. A synchro.

7. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Thank you for the input gentlemen, Your right about going from forward to reverse,but boy could it push a lot of snow. I also spoke to a guy who has made 6 of my pushers,and can make me a pusher that goes up and down for around 7k.
    Any other reasons why I should not consider this machine? I know resale may be a b@tch

8. rob_cook2001

They are expensive to work on, but no worse than a loader.. there other downfall is they can't stack snow like a loader. That being said I plan on setting up a jd 8450 for next season with a box.