1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on this spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cold_and_tired, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. ATV Plow King

ATV Plow King Senior Member

That sounds about right. Buyers stuff isnt all that expensive. But from what i hear they work pretty good. All that really matters is that it gets the job done.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Don't spend too much

But just as important, buy the right spreader. The spreader looks okay, but backing up may also be an issue. Don't let cost be the main factor. Break-downs at 2:00am doesn't get the job done either, even though the spreader was cheaper.

Check out the SnowEx line of tailgate spreaders. A lot of different sizes and options. Low maintenance, easy to see over and options include material flow control. The control box offers dual controls for both the auger and the spinner. Imagine that, an auger feed system even with a tailgate spreader. Save time and money with material flow control. You may spend a little more going in, but what you save through material costs will pay for the spreader very quickly.

I've been using SnowEx for five years now and have four different models and have had no issues. At least check them out. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. I do not sell them, just a satisfied user of the product. 502-499-7841.

This is a picture of a model 1875. They offer a smaller version model 1575. They are worth what you pay.

4. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Im looking into this one as well. Has anyone used bulk with it? does it work?
  5. Stoneheadmtn

Stoneheadmtn Member

I bought the tgso6 last fall. Ran 40+ tons of bagged rock and 1/4 " gravel thru it and it worked fine. My issue was getting out EVERY TIME to turn the flow on and off. Laziness setting in on me I guess. If you don't jump out and shut the flow off when you stop your hopper will sit there and run empty. I probably lost a few hundred pounds over the winter here and there.
  6. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

So would you give it the thumbs up for bulk? I dont think I completly know what you are trying to say?

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

JUMP OUT AND TURN IT OFF!! WTH:dizzy: That just did thumbs down for my opinion.
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i heard the same thing about the flow shut off. My thinking like everyone elses is once I hit that button the salt should stop. I dont want to be running in and out of the truck to shut the thing down. It is good for bulk, but it will waste alot of material if you dont pay attention.
  9. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

New to the whole tailgate salt spreading. Why wont it stop when you hit stop? Why in the heck would you have to go outside and turn it off? I cant seem to get the concept of it:dizzy:
  10. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The hole in the bottom where the auger is will let out the salt with out some form of stopper. Even if you have the power off it will fall throught the hole.

I do have a curtis tailgate that for some reason will not let out to much, like a handful by the time i get home with it. I think it has something to do with the auger threads.
  11. cold_and_tired

The spreader showed up on my doorstep this morning. I had it assembled and installed in an hour.

Quality of construction seems really great and the part that I really liked is that all of the wiring came assembled and already in the loom.

I really dont mind getting out and shutting the flow gate. To me, that is just one less thing to break in the middle of a storm. I only have three contracts that require salt so it wont be too bad.

I dont think you can get a better spreader for the price. Just a shade over $1,000 delivered.

Bring on the snow!!!
  12. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks for the explaination. Thats what I was figuring.
  13. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I have the older style upright BUYERS with the motor mounted under. Paid $600 for it new 8-9 years ago. Used it every winter since. Frame was just sanded and repainted last year. New motor as well. Spread 1800 lbs every event with it....
    Also have a Snow Ex...paid twice as much does the same job (although perfer the Buyers controller)

Wash it after every use and it will last a long..long..time.
  14. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

My bro had A Snow Ex 1875 (tailgate), it was very nice, it didnt obstruct the view when bakcing up, and never clogged up on us (it had a vibrator tho)... You can see some pics of it in my picture thread(link in sig)...
  15. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Buyers spreaders

I ran seven of the buyers spreaders at one time. They are not a bad spreader, I just got tired of replacing motors because of the motor being exposed to all the brine all the time.

Switched to snowex 6 years ago and the only expense I've had is one vibrator and I run five different units. As a matter of fact, just yesterday we did our test and tune on all plows and spreaders and yes all the snowex spreaders simply plugged in and WORKED AGAIN!

Yes they are more to buy initially, but the value is in the longevity and lack of maintenance cost.

It's not wrong or right, it's what's right for you, your company and your clients. If you want to spend your time spreading ice melter and not working on equipment, use snowex.
  16. azandy

azandy Member

We had snow-ex tailgate spreaders and never had a problem with material coming out while traveling. A little would fall out on top of the spinner and that's where it would stay till the spinner was turned on again. Of coarse the size of the salt crystals would determine all of this. We had the snow-ex for 5 years. Did great. I bought a salt dog ele. motor v-box last year. Very impressed. Only one year though. If you are new to spreaders hanging out the back, you just have to be awhare of it when backing and I think every spreader I've owned has gotten bent or damaged a little at some point. Snow piles that turn to ice tend to cause a little stress. Usually wouldn't be a big deal. Have a bar and hammer along.
  17. cold_and_tired

The TGS06 has the motor mounted inside a sealed chamber within the spreader. That might alleviate some of the problems you were having.

I cant wait for the first snow to go try this thing out!
  18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Looks like a solid spreader, also looks like it will hold a few hundred pounds at least. Good luck with it.