1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on these trucks?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Aug 11, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I have decided to look for a '99-'03 7.3L Powerstroke. I know everyone will say don't go diesel it costs more than gas now and isnt worth it. I am aware of the fact that they are more expensive to own, and will have no problem $ wise being able to fill it up when it needs it, and even to cover any major repairs without draining my bank account . not to mention i will use it for landscaping in the summer along with other things besedes plowing in the winter. So as of right now I am definatley ready to take a trip down diesel alley in the next couple of weeks.

Here is my #1 prospect as of right now:
    1999 Ford Super Duty F-350 SRW XLT

Price: 10250
    Mileage: 110588
    Stock No: C80257
    Vin: 1FTSX31F1XEC80257
    Engine: 7.3L (444) DI V8 TURBO-DIESEL ENGINE
    Transmission: Automatic

1999 F350 ext. cab diesel.jpg

1999 F350 ext cab diesel 2.jpg

1999 F350 ext cab diesel 3.jpg

1999 F350 ext cab diesel 4.jpg

1999 F350 ext cab diesel 5.jpg

2. WilliamOak

here's the last pic.

1999 F350 ex cab deisel 6.jpg

3. WilliamOak

Now here is lovely truck # 2!!!

Disadvantages here are obvious. More miles on a younger truck. Its a cc lb so plowing with her will be difficult at best. However it is a lariat so there is a + on the comfort factor for plowing. also is priced a little bit higher.

Specs
    Price: $11,500
    Year: 2000
    Model: F350
    Mileage:146,388
    Color: white
    Enging: 7.3 diesel

Crew cab long bed lariat. remote start (isnt it reativelt cheap to put one on a truck that doesnt have it anyway), heavy duty service suspension (whatever that means).

200 f350 cc diesel.jpg

4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the 7.3's were and are awesome diesels and you will get good fuel economy from them.. they did have a serious oil pan rot problem so crawl under and check them both. personally i would go with the lower mileage, super cab truck. keep looking though a lot of people are ditching trucks lately because of fuel prices and there are some deals to be had dont just settle on the first ting you find. on the remote starter issue, they are relatively cheap but on the diesel models you need special ones that allow the glow plugs to heat before the truck will start and im not sure on how much extra those are to buy if they are at all, or on how much more difficvult of an install they are. also check the front end weight rating on both on the tag on the drivers door jam, since you will be plowing with it you will want the 5200# front end with that diesel the other option for that year i believe was 4800# ...

out of the two choices i would go with number 1 but keep shopping, the way the market is im sure those trucks will still be available for a while .

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt be scared of either. My buddy has a '97 F350 with 312K on it and no problems. The first one isnt a bad price either. You find them online or locally?

6. WilliamOak

online (Craigslist), but both are relatively local, the first one being in decatur, the second in st. charles. I'm in Cary so neither are rediculiously far away.....

7. RSieck

RSieck Junior Member
    from Iowa

I would go with the first one myself. Although I'm sure there will be times you wish you had a long bed, especially if you are going to be using it for landscaping in the summer.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

FInd out about ball joints and oil pan. Otherwise, they're awesome.

And I'd go with #1. I have a green '00 just like it. Great truck.

9. WilliamOak

i'm gonna take it to a mechanic in decatur and have them look at it before i get serious about buying it.

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Like menitoned, check the front spring rating. you ideally want the 5200# front end. You can change it later if the truck you want has the lower rating but its alot easier to start with correct rating. Also, I love my CC SB but I really wish I had a long bed. Its alot eaier to find a V bed salter, and you can also put in one of the dump inserts which are really nice. Plus you can carry more material (not sleaking about weight, but just more material overall).

The oil pan like mentioned is another one. mine is going to need replacing i think. im going to try and plaster some POR15 on it and hope to get the most out og it that I can.

So IMO id pick the second truck, yamaguy who is on here plows with a CC LB and does just fine. Uts a bit long but he can plow banks just as well as I can.

Noth trucks looks good though! LOL

11. WilliamOak

i'm really not sure which truck would be better right now. Originally when i said that it would be hard to plow with the cc i was figuring i would be plowing driveways, not open lots. However now i'm thinking hopefully open lots next year (stroker you know what i'm talking about). this will also be comewhat of a dd so parking will be a bigger issue with the cc. Not to mention the ext. cab has 30somethin thousand less miles on it (that is the key deciding factor as of right now, but i havent driven either yet so its still pretty much up in the air). I plan on getting a larger open trailer either this fall or next spring, so hauling materials shouldnt be too much of an issue, however i could fit a yard or two of mulch or anything else in the truck if the need arises. I plan on the truck doing more pulling than hauling. Once i finish college i can get myself a dump, or maybe even before that... Also, on one of the other sites I remember seing someone who put an 8' salter in a 6.5' bed, it just put the spinner farther away from the bumper, but who knows how safe that would be with weight that far back.

12. stroker79

13. stroker79

14. WilliamOak

lol, i actually stop by and admire that first truck alot because i work on a farm out in woodstock, was just there last sunday actually lol. Ext cab long bed would be exactly what i am looking for, too bad this one's a little out of my price range but who knows how much they will come down on the price after it's been sitting there since winter.

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

16. WilliamOak

heres an update. I want a longbed. lol. Did some major hedge trimming today and used my friend's f150 reg cab 8' bed and we barely fit everything in it. I thought about it and i dont want to be hauling a trailer to every job such as this one. I'm still going to look at the one in decatur, but will only persue the truck if EVERYTHING checks out alright.

17. WilliamOak

alright stroker. Finally actually drove that truck with the snow in the bed instead of just drooling over it. I think it is the one, oil pan was clean, (was a little hard to check because of the Fx4 package with the skid plates covering it.) settering was tight, brakes were responsive, shifted smooth, ran smooth. Now all it needs is the a mechanic's approval.

18. stroker79

Yeah if it were the 6.slow i would stay far far away. However doing my best to look at the badges it looks like a 7.3. If its a 7.3 its a gem, if its the 6 oh its a turd, lol

19. stroker79

Well im jealous of that truck. Its a great looking truck and I dont think you could go wrong with it. Hopefully the mech says its good!

Also, if ya want leather seats, look on ebay. There are normally a bunch of new OEM leather seat covers on there for a good price. Im going to get a set once mine wear out a little more.

20. WilliamOak

I never really thought about leather seat covers... but thats a good idea, If i ever did i would get the gray leather vs. the tan. I just think it looks alot nicer! It's got a banks exhaust if that means anything. Lol and i stood by the exhaust for a while just so i would have the diesel exhaust smell on me... i love that smell!