1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the ST

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rpdwyer, Aug 12, 2009.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

I am considering an 80" ST for my 03 Dakota. I don't plow commerically but do have a long steep driveway in the Northeast. Also I occasionally plow the private road I live on. What is the opinion of the ST? I read some forum post about ST's breaking. If not an ST what is a better alternative?
    Thanks.

2. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

The ST Series plow should work out fine for you. It is designed for personal use. The private road is my only concern. How long of a road is it, what type of road is it, etc. As far as the ST's "breaking", I am sure that one or two people over the years "broke" their ST plows but those types of failures were generally caused by misapplication of the product (using it well beyond it's design criteria). It was easy to "misapply" the ST Series because it used the same mounting system as the rest of the "heavier-duty" and "commercial" plows, thus allowing it to be mounted on 1/2, 3/4, and even 1-ton trucks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  3. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I plow the parking lot of my 12,000 sq. ft. strip mall, and the surrounding private streets with my ST and it does a fantastic job for what it is. That said, I don't abuse it. I've owned bigger straight blades, and used V's in the past, and as long as I remembet that the ST "is what it is" and I don't try to push too much with it, it works great, even with 6+ inches of snow to move around.

4. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

The private road is probably about 300 meters long and it was paved about 3 years ago so it is cleans without breaks in the pavement.

Here in CT, we get up to 12" of snow before I am able to get out an plow.... could the plow handle this?
    Thanks.

Forgot mention... the truck is a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7L V8

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  5. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Definitely will handle it, but will take a few more passes than bigger and taller blade. One of our roads is about the same length, and I have to push all of the snow to one side, and it handles it fine, I just don't try to push too much at once.

6. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Great thank you. One last question, and this is to anyone who wants to chime in:

For my truck, if you had to choose between a 3 year old ST and a 5 or 6 year old MT, both 80" inches, which would you choose and why?

I am looking at both, the MT has a light kit and is a bit cheaper. I would need to buy a mount for both.

Thanks.

7. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

The MT is quite a bit heavier than the ST, but is taller which would help in the deeper snow, as long as your Truck can push it.

8. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Yes, the MT is about 120 pounds heavier. I'd like to not modify the springs in the front if I don't have to. I've read posts about people complaining about sag in the front from the MT (although not on my truck model 03 Quad Dakota).

I'm really torn. The MT comes with sabre lights and the cylinders are larger than the ST.
    The ST however is 120lbs lighter and newer. It doesn't have the lights.

Both would need a mount.

Finally the ST is about a 4 hour drive from here, vs. the MT is about a 10 hour drive but the MT is about $400 cheaper.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I'd go with the MT. Dakotas are easy to level up front, 3-4 turns on the torsion bars, a set of Timbrens, get an alignment and you're all set.

10. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I would get the MT. If you wait to plow 12" with the 18" moldboard of the ST, the snow will go right over the top of it. The hardest part of using the ST or MT plow is finding the 3 point mount to fit your truck. They are no longer made. If you are going new you may want to consider the 26 series listed for your truck.

I would think the snow in CT is often wet and heavy. It will be tough pushing 12" with a Dakota because of its light weight. REAL snow tires will be important here, as well as rear ballast. I use one or two 18 gallon, covered, Rubbermaid containers to hold a sand/salt mixture I get from the local town sand pile (some things are still FREE in NH ;)). I use the sand on my shaded, 19% grade driveway, in between storms.

Fran

11. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Thanks guys for the info.

However, it appears the show stopper in all this is finding a mount for my truck. I have called about 7 different dealers and the ones that have called back said they cannot find or get them.

Nothing in eBay or Craigslist either.

Very disappointing.

12. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Found a mount in the box brand new!
    I also have the choice between a ST 6'8" or a 7'6", both brand new in the box. Besides being a foot bigger, is there any reason to buy the 7'6" vs. the 6'8"?

A bigger plow, I would imagine has more force put on it so I am concerned that it is more susceptible to damage.

Any opinions on the two sizes?

13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

You will run over your trail with 6'8". I wish mine was 7'6"

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Get the 7'6", the 6'8" is too narrow for the Dakota.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nod::nod::nod:

16. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

times what?? 4

On full angle, going around curves, your tires will drive over your windrows with the 80 incher.

Fran

17. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

My calculator and your calculator do not agree, unless 90 is actually smaller than 80. I have the 80 and want a 90.

18. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Member

Thanks guys... consensus seems to be with the 7'6" so will call him tomorrow and buy.
    Appreciate all the help. This forum has been great.

--Rick