1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the 6.5 Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Fordtruckman88, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

Just looking for some opinions of the 6.5 diesel
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Got 3 of em. Would like it if they had more power for hauling trailer. Mine are a 96 99 and 2000 in 3500 HD duallys.
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I had one

Got about 25 mpg

But Couldnt get out of its own way
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Lots of trouble with the 6.5TD I had. Kept blowing FSDs. They're about a $2,000 fix, but you can get an aftermarket FSD that is an improvement and you can install yourself. For more about the problems of the 6.5 (it's common) go to dieselpage.com
  5. Fordtruckman88

Fordtruckman88 Member

Does a 3/4 GMC with a 6.5 with around 80,000 miles and a 8 ft plow sound like a good deall to you for $2500 becuase my gut says buy it but i really dont know how many problems i can run into down the road
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They don't compare to todays diesels, but I'll bet yours had an issue. Mine moves out pretty good. Again, not a powerhouse, but it's way faster than my last one that needed glow plugs, etc... True about the milage, they're great on fuel.

Wow. You mean PMD's (pump mounted driver) for one, an FSD is the relocated, cooled replacement. PMD's cost about $279, a cable and cooler (fsd) are about $60. You're referring to the entire injector pump costing $2k and 95% of the time it's only the PMD. They overheat under the engine cover. When you replaced yours the first time you should have either removed the cover as most do or get a relocated FSD.

Smokin deal. If it was around here, I'd buy 5 of them.

80k is nothing. 200-250k, glow plugs, injectors, head gaskets, etc. The bottom ends are good for 3-400k or more IMHO-if treated right.
  7. Mick

from Maine

First two were replaced under warranty, so they did them "by the book". Last one - I paid for, so it was the aftermarket which you mentioned. Left the old one where it was and relocated the new one with the heat shield to the top of the intake manifold. Immediately sold it (and disclosed the problem/modification to the buyer).
  8. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

I have one in my Hummer H1, It is a known issue that 6.5L Blocks prior to 2000 have serious issues with cracks between cylinder 7 & 8, Mine had to be replaced, many times they will do this even after the warranty period
  9. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

Mine runs great... Not caomparable to a new diesel. For $ 2500 i'd snag it... I will tell you I burn half the fuel while plowing than the 350's...
  10. damian

damian Senior Member

stay away from it unless you get it cheep cheep and can work on it yourself.i run a diesel shop and fix these things non stop. a quick list,oil cooler lines,head gaskets,cracked heads,cracked blocks in the main bearing area causing loss of oil pressure,oil pressure switch that runs lift pump,injector pumps,fsd modules non stop,lower crank pulleys,vac pumps,turbos,glow plugs,turbo side exhaust manifold bolt breakage,this is my list of most common repairs not in any order,this is without doubt the weakest (but lightest) of all the light duty diesels. regarding fsd remote cooling plate kits made by various manufacturers they dont work,ive installed about 50 of them and have experienced many more repeat failures of the fsd as opposed to pump mounted fsd.the only redeeming feature of the cooler plate is you can change the fsd in minutes as opposed to hours,that being said i never use them anymore,i mount them to the pump like it came from the factory and have better luck with them.ive also used those cheap replacement engines as seen on the internet with more bad result than good.
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No offense, but if you installed 50 of them and it still takes you hours to replace, then you're right......the 6.5 isn't for you!! It's right on top of the engine! All of the other stuff you listed isn't common and does not happen to every one out there.
  12. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Got h2o, it is hardlt worth arguing this topic as so many people have misdiagnosis from the dealer that everyone thinks they are awful. A lot of them just needed a PMD. Until you have one and run it like a rented mule, people wont get it. Definitely not winning any races with a load of salt and a plow, but slow and steady wins usually. Plus they are great on fuel.
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Well put..............it's kindof like the mighty Dmax. Everyone braggs up the other brands so much, you'd never know Duramax was even an option around here (Plowsite). It's a losing battle to even stick up for one. Ignorance, my friend. ;)
  14. damian

damian Senior Member

could i be the only shop around that has had many repeat fsd failures with the cooling plate kit installed? by the way got h2o,it takes minutes to install the kit,it takes hours to replace the module on the pump,have you ever done it?and finally ,why would a shop promote or down any brand based on "feelings" we see all the popular makes and models both in fleet and private owner situations i can tell you that the most troublesome units are 6.5gm and 6.0ford fact.sure,some guys have good luck with both,alot dont.no cheap fixes on any.
  15. Mick

from Maine

Damian, your point is exactly why I just got contributing to this thread. Some people are sold on one type or another and simply don't want to hear anything contrary. It goes so far that they need to distort your words in order to provide some substantiation for their own (as is common in politics).
  16. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 1994 6.5 1-ton Dually a few years back nothing but problems and no power at all! I would never buy another one but thats just me, it got the nickname of the sh#@ 5 diesel from my guys. I only has 115,000 on it when I sold it.
  17. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If your going to bother to relocate the FSD do it outside the engine compartment. The kit that mounts it to the intake is worthless.
    I had mine on the pump for 120,000 miles until it gave me any issues. I bought a kit from Heath Diesel that mounts it behind the front bumper and has a 7 year warranty on it.
    Damian, what shop do you run?
  18. damian

damian Senior Member

hi joe d,i run damian diesel in avon ma,ive seen the remote fsd kit that mounts under the bumper,i dont have experience with it or the intake mounted ones,but they seem like a better way to go.the problem at my shop is,the customers that have a 6.5 has it in an old truck as it has been out of production for a while,these guys have a hard time justifying expensive repairs or expensive kits,and we all know there are not many cheap fixes on these units, this puts many 6.5 owners in a pickle when they break,do you spend more than the thing is worth,or do you cut and run.
  19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I drove a 6.5 as a company truck when I was in high school. I thought it was pretty cool and it ran great for the couple years I was at that job. And the diesel mechanics there beat the crap out of it and it took it.

Also, it sounds like a great deal considering you are getting a plow with it. Unless the plow is a total piece of crap you can't even use.
  20. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I look at the 6.5 as it is a cheap truck to own and operate if you can do your own wrenching. I worked my truck since 98 when I bought it new and at this point owes me nothing. Now it's a toy I mess around with. But your right at what point do you stop pouring money into a old truck. If my motor goes south, it will be replaced with a nice 12v cummins and 6spd trans.
    Next time you need a remote mount kit try the Heath Diesel setup. The warranty alone is worth it, 7 years.