1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Sno-Way?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by speedshifter, Jan 22, 2012.

1. speedshifter

speedshifter Junior Member

I'm not new to snow plowing, but this will be my first time purchasing one for my truck. I've used/installed Western Ultramount II's and Boss plows. I'm looking to by a Sno-Way 29-series by recommendation from a fellow Cummins owner. He currently has the Blizzard Power plow on his truck and says its entirely too heavy for his truck. He said he wants to eventually sell his blizzard and buy a Sno-Way because of their light weight and down pressure system. I've done the research and I'm liking the Sno-way against its competitors.

I'll be using the plow to do my long driveway and a few driveways for friends/family to help pay for the plow.

Since there isn't a sno-way forum on here, I hope I'm asking in the right place. What is the general opinion of sno-way plows? Do you guys like them?

Please lets not turn this into a pissing match about whos plow is better.

Thanks!

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Don't do it. I had a 29 series on my 2000 F250. The plow was the biggest piece of **** ever. They've changed since then, but I would never buy a Sno-way again. Your truck can handle a blizzard, boss, western just fine. Personally I would never buy anything but Boss or Western. I think the Sno-way is underbuilt, poorly designed, and I had nothing but problems with it. There's a reason most trucks have other brand plows hanging on the front.

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I've had 2, granted not 29 series but an older 18 series and currently an MT series. Never had a problem with either both were used and both were more reliable than the Meyer and Western Unimount that I previously had.

Bottom line is plows are like everything else some will have problems some won't.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Sno way makes great plows! Sometimes they have gotten smarter than the operators and it becomes a conflict. With all the electronics on the plows and lighting anymore its not a simple piece of equipment. But I would guarantee you there won't be a problem you have that you can not find the solution on here.

5. theguynextdoor

It will get the job done; however, I felt mine was inferior to a western. Also, the down pressure didn't seen to make a difference.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Something had to be wrong:nod::nod:

7. theguynextdoor

The DP did work. You could see the plow push down when the DP was engaged but I don't think it scraped any better than a plow without down pressure.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. speedshifter

The features I like about the sno-way are:

- Lighter weight than other plows for less wear on my freshly rebuilt front suspension
    - EIS lighting system, less relays/control boxes to go bad
    - Down pressure
    - Wireless controller, no wires in the cab!

last, but not least... financing @ 3.75% for 60 months! I don't have the cash to drop on a new plow, but I can do payments no problem. I haven't seen any other company offering financing that good.

What kind of issues would make the sno-way less reliable than the other plows out there?

The other big plows around here are Western and BOSS. I'm just starting to see Blizzard plows around here, yet there aren't many dealers around here.

I've heard Westerns are overpriced and I'm not a fan with the mounting system. Its nice that the mount receivers are removable in the off-season for a factory appearance. I feel there is alot of slop in western plows during use as well due to lift chains and multiple mounting parts.

I like plowing with a BOSS plow, they are responsive and do a good job. However, I've yet to come across a BOSS plow that the mounting switch actually works! I work at a Chevy dealer and we have a brand new '12 2500 that had a BOSS plow put on it. After one mounting, the mounting switch is now inop. BOSS plows also have one hell of a bracket hanging down that gets in the way when not in use.

No experience with Blizzard plows, but they are crazy heavy. Plus I don't have any Blizzard dealers near me.

Also, are Western, Blizzard, and Fisher all owned by the same company? Their websites all look the same.

9. theguynextdoor

Western, fisher, and blizzard are all owned by Douglas Dynamics. If the snow way works for you an you have good dealer support go for it.

10. speedshifter

Okay so after more research, it appears that the sno-way vehicle bracket is just as bulky as a BOSS brakcket.

Also the sno-way plows are lighter, but not by much. The Blizzard plows are heavy, but not crazy heavy like i said for a straight blade.

Didn't see an "edit" button for me to edit my previous post anywhere, so I just wanted to be accurate.

11. BruceLyon

BruceLyon Junior Member

My Snoway Rocks

Hey Matt, I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi Quad Cab...Just put a Snoway 26hd on it...It rocks. Bought it for all the reasons you sighted...and the lighter weight, with additional scraping power with DP was MORE important to me cuz mine's a half ton truck. Not only does the DP really help with backblading, but it lifts the front of my truck up plenty when applied...it WORKS. "Basher" in DE, on this forum will every answer, and probably every part you'll need for Snoway....I reccomend it highly....you will also have the option of mounting wings on yours.

12. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

Have several sno-ways and 1 boss 9-2 Vxt. I love them all. The 29r is by far the best snoway plow I've had but unfortunately old man winter took a vacation this year and havent been able to try it out in heavy snow. The only problems I've had were either operator error or abuse but a buddy of mine had to have his pump replaced after one season on a 29, (under warranty:)). I am partial to direct drive plows. Dealer support and warranty are why I buy what I do. And basher is a snoway guru who is very helpful to plowsite users

13. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I will never buy another snoway. if you want to know why search my old posts (from the year I joined Plowsite) There is no sno-way fourm here because Sno-way had it pulled because it turned into the "Bash-Snoway" forum when they had serious problems with the release of their newest line of plows. I will say that the mounts are bulkier than Boss, and that the downpressure does work IF the plow is set up properly. Dealer support is the key. i firmly believe that if Basher was my local dealer my issues would have been resolved and I would be a happy Sno-way customer, but it drug on too long and was never resolved.
    Basher is a great sno-way resource here on plowsite and does not get enough credit.

as far as your buddies CTD not handling the powerplow...thats crap. you may need to upgrade the springs and you definitely need to add ballast, but these trucks have no problem with the weight up front.

and yes, Fisher, Western are the same plow in different colors and the parent company of both, bought Blizzard.

Good luck.

14. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

I bought a used truck with a used snoway on it. It has been reliable and durable so far for me. Its a 32 or 29 I think...8ft with DP. I don't plow that much, probably similar to what you described.

15. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Junk had 1 & the parts are EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

In 2003, I put a Snoway on my 1999 Expedition. Had no problems with the plow that I can recall.

I did not like the fact that it was a full trip plow because any heavy wet snow over 4-5" would make the blade constantly trip.

I got rid of the Expedition in 2006 and got an F350 with a Western MVP, mainly because I wanted a V plow and also because the Western is a trip edge (instead of a full trip).

My advice would be to go for a V plow if you can afford it, as it looks like your truck can handle it.

17. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I have a snoway and love it I am the 3rd owner of it. The other two did not take care of it. I put a lot time and money.
    To make it work as it should. Parts are not cheep. But I thank they hold better than other brands. Just my 2¢

I love my Z

18. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I've read lots of posts saying people thought their snoway was the bigges POS ever and I agree 100%... Their megablade lineup is the worst, from the mount to the hookup and 5 plugs to plug it all in are you serious, boss and everyone else can do it with 2... Snoway most defentially DOES NOT stand behind their product... After selling my revolution and buying a boss I've never looked back... There are soo many better blades out there...

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I wondered how long it woulds take for you to show up and start spouting mis-information. LLL here is very proud that he personally (ask him he'll tell you) drove Snoway from the forum.

Funny my Snoways only have 2 headlights an power plug, that only adds up to three same as many newer DD products. I like the fact that they are a repairable plugs instead of the molded rubber plugs that rot internally. I'll take three plugs (two headlight and one power) and no iso modules or relays/switches to fail any day.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Funny how out of all the other bashing you choose to quote my post.... Your a funny guy

What if your not running a wireless controller?

Why hasnt snoway came back after 3 years... Dont be blaming me for anything!